Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low carb flu page

bambi_beth is offline Junior Member

low carb flu

Primal Fuel
    Please help me, future Primal friends.

I know I've read posts about carbohydrate flu, low-carb flu, carb flu, however you'd like to type it, I've searched for it, and I can't find the definitive guide.

I've started down the Primal road. I haven't finished the book yet, but I've been eating strictly plants and animals for about two weeks. Overall, I feel great, but for the past 3 days I have had a splitting, debilitating headache. Even under my quasi-veggie CW ways, I was rarely ill and never affected by pain like this. I truly almost passed out during my regular yoga class last night during a balancing posture; the pain was that acute.

Is this the dreaded low-carb flu? Or is this something I should have a doctor look at?? I am an old pro at sinus infections, and this is definitely not one of those, as I have no other sinus-related symptoms.
    Last edited by bambi_beth; 10-27-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: more info

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that sounds pretty sudden and severe, though the timing is about right for LCF. Not sure what to conclude there -- sinus infection maybe? Are you staying hydrated, all that good stuff?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Congratulations, thanks for replying, and I wish all the best for you and your baby!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting a good amount of fat from your foods?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if it's carb flu or something else, but one of the things I like from the PB book was an emphasis on listening to your body and not feeling like you HAVE to work out if your body is saying don't. Just wondering why you went to yoga with 3-day debilitating headache? Maybe your body needs you to rest while it adjusts its physiology to this new way of eating.

(And welcome!)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bambi_beth View Post
    Is this the dreaded low-carb flu? Or is this something I should have a doctor look at?? I am an old pro at sinus infections, and this is definitely not one of those, as I have no other sinus-related symptoms.
    It sounds a bit more intense than what most people experience. The folk on the forum will be able to help you out a bit more if you post a sample day worth of food.

For me, yoga isn't exercise, it's relaxation. I went to my class because I've been under a lot of stress and I needed to do something besides go home and think about how badly my head hurt.

I'm not counting my fat very closely, and while I've always been a butter and olive oil kind of girl, I don't like excess fat in my cuts of meat, or greasy eggs. I eat avocado, nuts, and full-fat and raw dairy, and I drink almost a gallon of water a day. I've been doing that for years, I know it's not really Primal-approved, but I'm not ready to scale it back yet.

Basic day's menu:

for breakfast - 2 eggs (or yogurt or cottage cheese) & berries or baked squash with a cup of coffee, maybe a few nuts or a piece of dark chocolate
    lunch - salad or lettuce wrap with assorted veggies, avocado, and leftover meat (chicken, fish, shellfish)
    dinner - sauteed veggies with meat or eggs
    snack (rare) - apple, nuts, seeds, or dark chocolate

I don't like to IF breakfast, but I eat a handful of nuts late afternoon and go without dinner on yoga day and usually one other day per week.
    Last edited by bambi_beth; 10-27-2010 at 08:31 AM.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if it might be the water. I know that when I try to drink a lot of water it makes me have a terrible headache. This is definitely exacerbated by being primal. Back when you were consuming a lot of carbs and grains tonnes of water went into water retention and hydration of the actual food you were eating. Excessive water is extremely damaging and you very well may have a low lying level of hyponatremia.

I would highly suggest just drinking when you are thirsty. As in, thirst hits, drink some water, then stop.

I may be blowing the water thing out of proportion, but based on the extreme nature of your headaches, it is definitely worth a try for a few days.

edit: I am not American, so I thought a gallon is like a litre, but it's 4 litres! 1 US gallon = 16 US cups
    Last edited by lcme; 10-27-2010 at 08:31 AM.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Aye, that is a lot of freakin water.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A gallon of water a day isn't that much over the course of 24 hours especially if you are active. It just sounds like a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast