Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Triathloon) page

Triathloon is offline Member

Primal Journal (Triathloon)

DAY 1

Hello PB world...

Very excited about my new primal adventure. Day 1 was excellent.

No matter how you eat, living here on a tiny island in the pacific (far, far away from the real world) food is a challenge. The one grocery store is small and fresh food arrives only once a week (sometimes twice). Choices are limited, but at least it has improved in the past year.

Breakfast consisted of a nice omelet with 3 whole eggs. I had forgotten just how much I have missed them. No more egg whites only for me! Ham, peppers, onions, jalepenos, and mushrooms graced the inside.

At lunch I tried out the Green Egg Primal Bread from thisprimallife.com, which turned out great. A couple of pieces along with a handful of almonds really hit the spot. We only have sweetened shredded coconut here, so it wasn't exactly perfect. I'll have to come up with something to replace it next time. Can't wait to use this as a bun for a burger!

Supper was a hefty leaf lettuce salad with avocado, more green egg bread, a host of raw veggies, plus some ground beef my family had in their tacos tonight. Oh yeah, a lovely homemade dressing consisting of olive oil, garlic, dijon mustard, and honey.

It's now my troublesome time of the day (6 p.m. to 10 p.m. carb binge time)... and I'm not even remotely hungry. Excellent, excellent stuff. My wife even seems interested in this.

I'm a passionate cyclist, but no ride today as it was just too rainy. Spent some good time with my 4-year old instead.

Here's to good success on the PB plan!
    Last edited by Triathloon; 10-27-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Why, hello back, and welcome!

I am fairly new myself, but I'm already seeing results.

Thanks for the link to the green bread. My BF has been very sad about his inability to make an avocado-and-cheese sandwich on the PB. Maybe I'll whip him up a batch of these breads to keep in the fridge for those sandwich emergencies!

Best of luck to you, and see you around the forum!

DAY 2

Got on the scales at 217 on Tuesday morning (we're across the International Date Line so if my days ever seem screwy that's probably why). A few years ago that would seem like a dream, but I'm not 300 lbs any more so it's actually pretty sad. I saw 200 earlier this year before the local triathlon and that is as light as I've been in a LONG time. I'm ready to PB my way down to my high school weight of 175'ish!

Breakfast: Polished off the salad I couldn't finish last night. A little wilty, but still pretty tasty. Of course I'm about 70% Homer Simpson so eating something even resembling food is no problem. Woke up with very little hunger which is definitely different. Wow...

Still reading PB, but should be able to finish in a day or so. It's all very motivating and exciting to say the least.

Exercise: Low intensity 20 mile ride at lunch. Grabbed a few almonds and 4 dates just before shoving off. Perfect weather and the wind was pretty calm. Didn't come in absurdly ravenous per usual after a ride.

Lunch: Another excellent salad with leaf-lettuce, shrimp, avocado, red bell, tomato, bean sprouts (hmm are these primal?), plus the super tasty dressing I found last week. Also had a handful of almonds and 6 grapes, perfectly satisfying me.

A little surprised to see that I total 76 g of carbs through lunch. They certainly do add up. Got to watch those dates!

Snack: Felt a little weak right after work, but honestly not hungry. Noshed on a few almonds and the leftover coconut from my egg bread adventure yesterday. It's sweetened so I didn't have too much. I found a local who is going to supply me with fresh coconut... hopefully I can learn the best way to shuck and extract the meat. Coconuts are so plentiful here that they are almost a nuisance!

Supper: Small piece of filet mignon and 2 fried eggs. Excellent! Day 2 is almost done and I am feeling good. Not remotely hungry, which is very much out of the ordinary and most welcome.

Late snack: I did end up trying some turkey bacon my wife had in the fridge just out of pure curiosity. Not exactly Primal... not exactly super tasty either. Couple mouthfuls of sunflower seeds in the shell too. My all time favorite snack.
    Last edited by Triathloon; 10-28-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

DAY 3

Breakfast: IF. Had some success with fasting in the past, so I will incorporate my usual fast days into PB.

Sticking with coffee for now, though I really abuse it. 6-8 cups every morning (which is better than the 6-8 cups 3x a day I used to consume). I believe concentrating on one habit change at a time is a wise thing! I really don't use coffee as a crutch or consider it a necessary part of my day. I really just like it. Then again, maybe that's just the caffeine addiction talking.

Morning of day 3 with no grains or sugar (worth speaking of). Feel absolutely fantasitc with the exception of an occasional, very minor, weak/dizzy spell. Hunger completely in check.

Lunch: IF

Afternoon: Felt a little light headed in a meeting this afternoon... decided to have a diet Coke once I got back to my office. Won't buy more after these last 3 are gone. Not particularly hungry yet.

Ended up getting hungry and had a couple of cans of sardines. Dang tasty.

Supper: Ahi tuna sashimi with wasabi/soy sauce (oops, didn't even cross my mind). Lightly baked asparagus with olive oil and spices. Had just a couple bites of mashed potatoes that the wife and kid had.

Went a little nutty with a fat laden dessert smoothie... heavy cream, coconut milk, whole milk, blueberries, shredded coconut, almonds and a drizzle of honey. Holy crap that was tasty! That pushed me past the satisfied feeling, I'm completely full now.

Exercise: 20 mile after-dark bike ride. Really cool riding around the airfield here at night... eerie glow of the runway lights in an otherwise pitch dark setting. Bike light worked like a champ, but rain forced me to spend an hour cleaning my bike afterwards. Should have checked the radar before I went out!

Day 3 was pretty awesome with hunger in check. 3 whole days with no grains or sugar.
    Last edited by Triathloon; 10-29-2010 at 04:01 PM.

DAY 4

Breakfast: Filet mignon and 3 fried eggs. Very satisfying... almost 10:00 a.m. and not remotely hungry. Did much on a few cracked pepper sunflower seeds in the shell.

Lunch: Leaf lettuce salad with smoked salmon, tomato, bean sprouts, avocado, and hommade honey-mustard dressing. Tinkered around with heavy whipping cream. Drank a few slugs, whipped up some into cream and ate it too. Dang tasty.

Snack: Sunflower seeds

Supper: Fantastic coconut-curry chicken recipe with cauliflower 'rice'. It was such an enjoyable thing to cook food you know you're going to genuinely enjoy and not feel guilty about eating it.

Practically no grains or sugar in 4 days and I'm feeling great.

Snack: About to make a batch of Batty's Butter Balls!
    Last edited by Triathloon; 10-30-2010 at 01:27 AM.

DAY 5

Breakfast: Filet and eggs before a morning bike ride.

Exercise/Snack: 40 mile ride at a reasonably slow pace. Snacked on a few almonds, small piece of beef jerky, and 3 dates. Post-ride snack was the last of the filet mignon with a little butter, a can of sardines (in olive oil, yay!) a small handful of pecans, and 1 Batty's Butter Ball.

Lunch/Snacks: Pretty hungry today after the 40 mile ride... noshed on leftover coconut curry chicken, roasted yellow squash and zucchini with olive oil, made some almond butter and had a few bites, handful of grapes, quite a few pistachios. Seems like I have been eating all afternoon. No grains or sugar though!

Supper: A couple of goodly sized hamburger patties with a big helping of green beans.

Notes: Jeez I felt like I ate waaaaaay too much today. Maybe it was the long ride that caused the hunger. Still no grains or sugar.
    Last edited by Triathloon; 11-01-2010 at 02:20 AM.

DAY 6

Breakfast: Omelet from Cafe Pacific with peppers, onion, tomato, mushrooms, ham and a little cheese.

Snack: Couple of meat skewers from the Marshallese craft fair. Had a ride scheduled this morning, but in the spirit of PB I skipped it since I probably rode too far yesterday. Probably a good idea anyway since I'm on my first week ok cutting so many carbs (plus this is a big change).

Lunch: Genuinely not hungry for lunch today.

Snack: Coconut curry chicken thigh from left overs. Half a banana with some almond butter. 1 piece of pepperjack cheese with a few almonds. A few sunflower seeds.

Activity: Bike ride pulling my daughter in the kid-carrier. Sanded and painted her bike that I let get rusty.

Supper: Leftover hamburger patty w/ slice of pepper cheese, a mounded pile of french cut green beans, leftover grilled yellow squash and zucchini. Ended with 4 squares of 70% cocoa chocolate with almond butter and several gulps of whole milk.

Was going to do a night ride but we're getting pounded with rain these days.
    Last edited by Triathloon; 11-01-2010 at 02:19 AM.

DAY 7

Well it's Tuesday (here across the IDL) so it's my weigh-day. 217 last week pre-PB, 211 today after 6 days without grains or sugar. I fully realize that I didn't lose 6 lbs of fat in 6 days, but I always record the number on the scale and temper my excitement (or despair). I have historically seen wild fluctuations on the Taneta anyway. I believe I was around 212.5 the previous week, so 211 is probably pretty accurate.

Regardless of what the numbers are, almost 1 week of PB in the bag and I feel awesome. Hunger levels are way down, energy levels are somewhat down too... but that is to be expected.

Calculated my BMI, BMR, etc. and figured out exactly where I need to be for macronutrient numbers. Will continue to log at myfooddiary.com.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with red bell, onion, spinach, small slice of pepper cheese, and a glug of whole milk... fried in butter of course. Also 8 -10 grapes.

Snack: Handful of pistachios.

Lunch: OK, lunch was a little crazy today. A local brought me a bunch of shucked coconuts, so I tried about 2 cups of coconut water. Had no idea it was so high in carbs! That's OK though, the stuff was awesome. A little disappointed in the lack of coconut meat on the inside... there was like a thin layer of coconut jelly. It was tasty too though. Also had the last of the coconut curry chicken (leg and thigh) along with a couple pieces of fish jerky.

Snack: 1/4 cup of almonds.

Supper: Hamburger patty with pepper jack cheese slice and mayo, baked asparagus, big pile of boiled shrimp w/ wasabi, handful of sweet potato fries.
    Last edited by Triathloon; 11-02-2010 at 12:36 AM.

DAY 8

I found myself craving carbs for the first time last night. I was full, didn't want anymore fat, protein, veggies, etc.... and my wife's bag of Fritos Scoops was taunting me like we were on the elementary school playground. I daydreamed they were dancing on the table going "na na na na na, you won't eat me". I held strong though, and survived day 7 with my no grains/no sugar streak in tact.

Breakfast: Not particularly hungry this morning, but I ate a can of sardines in olive oil, 5-6 almonds, and a few sips of whole milk with some in my coffee too.

Lunch: Very busy lunch with a trip to the grocery store plus prepping Mark's slow cooker pork stuffed peppers. Big salad with tomato, zucchini, 1/2 avacado, anchovies, and homemade coconut milk/fish sauce/lime juice dressing. Also had a few almonds and a sip or 2 of heavy cream.

Supper: Very busy evening so I didn't get my veggies in. ~6 oz. of fresh yellowfin tuna, an apple, various nuts.
    Last edited by Triathloon; 11-03-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    DAY 9

Still no grains or sugar! Of course I'm sure there may have been a bit of wheat or sugar in SOMETHING I ate, but I've had no pasta, bread, rice, corn, energy gels, Clif bars, etc.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with spinach, pepper cheese, heavy cream, mushrooms, onion. I'm pretty full and may need to consider reducing my omelets to 2 eggs, especially on low volume exercise weeks like this. (still wearing the walking boot because of my calcaneal stress fracture and the absurd volume of rain we've had has kept me off my bike).

I did get my time-trial bike fitted with its new aero bars and tires last night. Can't wait to get out and spin it around.

Lunch: 20 mile bike ride... still trying to get used to under 75% max heart rate though. Ate one of Mark's pork stuffed peppers which was excellent. Also noshed on various nuts... almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds.

Snack: Had a nice run with Spitz brand cracked pepper sunflower seeds while working. Excellent.

Supper: Big leaf lettuce salad with avocado, bell pepper, anchovies, homemade coconut milk/fish sauce dressing (I need to blend some avocado into this mixture) and mushrooms. Poor grazing habits still with me as I grabbed big pinches of shredded cheese out of the bag as my family had chicken fajitas for supper. Oh yeah I had a decent portion of the fajita chicken (no tortilla) which was very tasty.

Also had some heavy cream in my post-meal cup of decaf.
    Last edited by Triathloon; 11-04-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast