Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road cyclists... what do you snack on? (if anything) page

Triathloon is offline Member

Lightbulb Road cyclists... what do you snack on? (if anything)

Shop Now
    OK, take it easy on me if I seem to be addicted to chronic cardio. I honestly do love cycling. Unfortunately there are no mountains here as I live on a small, flat island in the pacific... so no mountain biking. We do have a decent paved loop which makes for good road cycling though.

I love the solitude, the sounds, gear, clothing, bike mechanics, and everything else about riding. It is truly my passion.

OK, disclaimer mode off.

What do you snack on during those long rides? I'm pretty excited about returning to the more paleo/caveman style of eating habits, so gone (once again) are my Clif bars, gels, sports drink, etc. I foresee a nice bag of almonds and dates on my longer rides.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

gingergenocide is offline Junior Member
    Hey Triathloon,

New here so hope you don't mind my responding.

Personally I find that almonds, raisains and bananas work for me, I must admit that during the summer on rides over 3 hours long I am inclined to bring an energy drink - usually high 5 - 4:1. However these days and at this time of year, rides are at an easy pace so I'm less inclined, any high paced spins are full on sprint sessions so no need for any food.

So in closing, Almonds, Raisains, Bananas. Just like you said!

Regards,
    David

Whiteknight is offline Junior Member
    You could try some iskiate, coconut water, or Larabars if you're looking for something packaged.

schwingding is offline Member
    I would love to trade riding locations for a while! Plenty of hills here where I live, lots of trees, beautiful farms, valleys, etc.. but no blue water!

Anyway - for rides of up to 2 hours at a moderate effort level - nothing other than water. For exerted efforts (I race bicycles), I go with typical foods, gu/gels/energy drinks. For long, long rides (up to 100 miles) at an endurance effort level - energy drinks and gels then, too - but I don't use even 1/2 as much as I used to before going primal. My energy level at an endurance pace seems boundless in fact, much steadier in supply/availability than when i was a carb junkie. I figure when I'm exercising at anything like intensity, I burn it all off quickly, and don't worry about going primal (bike racing is hardly a primal activity anyway, it's not like my body has evolved to support it)

Triathloon is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a huge container of chia so perhaps I should try some iskiate on a ride. Hmm how well does that travel through a water bottle nozzle? I suppose I'd need a container with a bigger opening? I use the Camelbak podium bottles (which are awesome... maybe it would flow through).
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

runnerbean is offline Member
    Agree with what others have said about shorter rides and endurance paced stuff.
    I can do about 2 hrs of really solid work without eating anything during the ride but longer stuff does need more fuel to maintain any kind of intensity.
    Sometimes, I just eat bars or whatever - certainly the most convenient option. Real food is better though
    I like to boil potatoes and then roll them in salt. Let them cool then put in a plastic bag in your jersey pocket.
    You can also make really yummy home made treats by grinding up dates, almonds and coconut in the food processor. Shape into little balls and roll in some more coconut or crushed almonds. They will keep for a long time in the freezer.
    Alan Lim from team Garmin also has a great recipe for sticky rice squares:
    http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008...len-rice-cakes

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    I'm an endurance junkie. Always will be. I like riding distance, hiking big mountains, etc. I've found that for me, the best way to fuel is to keep a handy of supply nuts and dried fruit (trail mix, in other words - but simply nuts, fruits for the carb boost and maybe some coconut) on hand. I eat a small handful every now and again - when I'm starting to feel a bit slow or used up. I also keep hard boiled eggs, peeled and in a plastic baggie with salt and pepper on hand for the mid point. I'm not a fan of gels or powerbars or anything like that. There are so many good naturals foods that help and keep the energy constant - not spiky. But that's me.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Trail mix junkie here. Avoid chocolate pieces as they get really messy in the heat. You can also try working on your metabolic efficiency through your diet more and you will not need much engineered nutrition if any at all. Check out the book, Metabolic Efficiency Training by Bob Seebohar. It's a good read. Its all about training your body for burning fat over carbs.
    Last edited by Karma; 11-07-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    I dont eat, just drink. The most I ride is about 2 hours so no need to eat in that time. A mixed Glycemic indexed food intake breakfast before riding I find allows for a steady flow of energy during the ride.

moa hunter is offline Junior Member
    A big breakfast. I've been eating these little "natural" dinosaurs at the rate of one maybe every 15 or 20k's lately. I think it's a bit like tossing a small pine cone into the woodburner on a cold night. I do like stopping at this little country store 30 k's before home for a flat white.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast