Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leangains questions page

marktripp is offline Senior Member

Leangains questions

Primal Fuel
    Hey folks, looking for some info on leans gains. I cant seam to navigate that website without isuue. If anyone is familiar with it can you give me some advise. I just started IFing again after getting away from it for awhile. Usually my last intake is a casein shake between 9-10pm then fast till around 12pm the following day, or just after my workout the which usually starts between 1030-11.

He speaks of a pre-workout meal and reffers to BCAA's, would a protein shake with BCAA's fall into this, or only BCAA's?

Can you snack in between meals, or is it 3 meals and thats it?
    Last edited by marktripp; 10-26-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clarification

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    If Daemonized doesn't see this thread and pipe up, you may want to PM him. He's pretty well versed in all things Leangains.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The BCAA's that he's referring to during fasts are basically pills not so much a protein shake. Martin recommends two to three meals a day and does not particularly advocate snacking. His view is that you either eat a meal or you do not eat a meal. I tend to agree with him on that as well. I eat twice a day and I'm not a snacker either.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    If Daemonized doesn't see this thread and pipe up, you may want to PM him. He's pretty well versed in all things Leangains.
    Speak of the Daemon.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Also the BCAAs that Martin refers to pre-workout are mostly for fasted state *pre and prior*, if you are eating within about 30 minutes or so of your workout the BCAA supps aren't going to be such a big worry for you. Don't forget that the BCAAs are a recommendation, I tend to do only fasted workouts without eating for a few hours prior without BCAAs. Meal Frequency within the 8 hour feeding window is up to you, Martin prefers whole meals, as do Daemon and myself though.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    First and foremost Martin's best guide to date about Leangains:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Pre-workout meal
    Depends on your workout timing and such, I'll go as far as to say do what works for you (if you like to work out fasted, then by all means you should).

BCAAs
    He says protein/whey shakes are "okay" but not preferable. I believe he's a supporter of fasted training, but there is scientific evidence (he cites studies) that ingesting BCAAS prior to workout, and thus having SOME protein immediately available during/post workout, is far superior than being 100% fasted. Sort of a compromise between the 2 camps.

Snacking, Meals
    You can do whatever you like, but he says most people find 3 set meals superior in terms of portion control and satiety. I personally do 2, with some snacks. Do what works for you.

I do deviate from Martin's recommendations sometimes too though. Martin doesn't do longer fasts and I do extend mine out a little more sometimes. In a few hours (dinner) I'll end a 48 hour fast for example. The majority of the time I do the 16 hour leangains fast.

Is the BCAA necessary pre-workout? I typically like having just a small cup of coffee and some water before my work out.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astraia.stavros View Post
    Is the BCAA necessary pre-workout? I typically like having just a small cup of coffee and some water before my work out.
    Nope, that is almost exactly what I do...but sub a pot of coffee. The BCAAs are an extra, a very helpful one, but an extra none the less.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/pre...etabolism.html

Not necessary but HIGHLY recommended

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast