Thread: Crippled after barefoot sprints! page

Misabi is online now Senior Member

Crippled after barefoot sprints!

Primal Fuel
    Just thought I'd share with you all, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done this

Was at the beach with my extended family over the weekend. It was a beautiful sunny day but not too hot, so decided I'd go for a jog along the beach while my nieces were building castles. Jogged at a slow / moderate pace for around 1.5 miles then turned around and did sprint intervals on the way back until I met the folks who had now walked about half way along the beach towards me.

I was pretty puffed by this point and could really feel the work out in my calves. But the kids wanted us all to play a game of tag (aka tig, had, you're it, etc...) all the way back along the beach to the car park. It was loads of fun and we got the whole family involved. Constantly moving slowly along the beach, with short sprints of varying speeds (depending on who was chasing, being chased).
    If I'd know how good a workout the game was going to be I wouldn't have bothered with the sprint session beforehand!

I've been walking like my legs are in braces for the past 2 days because my calves are so tight!

Excellent fun though, and I'm trying to encourage the folks to make this a regular event for all of us.

Has anyone else got any interesting / funny tales of doing too much, or improvised 'play' that ended up being one hell of a workout?
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-26-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like it was more the sand and less the barefoot thing. Well, unless youre new to it.. then that a painful combo!!!

Personally I had no transition to barefoot. I was already wearing chucks a lot and I was a dancer for 11 years, so I have strong feet!
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Yeah, maybe I should've used a different title but can't change it now

I'm sure it was a combination of running on sand and doing the unintended double workout. I've been walking in vibrams for at least 30 mins a day (having to wear 'proper' shoes in the office, and being barefoot in the evenings at home), and running occasionally on grass.

I guess I was more after trying to find out other types of 'play' folks have done that ended up giving them more of a workout than they'd bargained for.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Well in that case I did sprints yest (2x there and back to the end of a field) in Vibrams. No sore feet, nor sore legs... but I feel it in my ABS! LOL. I guess thats good, seeing as I really need to work on those!

Unintentional ab workout? Check. Now if I could make this an all-the-time thing I would be a happy Tara.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I guess I was more after trying to find out other types of 'play' folks have done that ended up giving them more of a workout than they'd bargained for.
    I've had some "horizontal sprints" like that.
    Not that I mind

Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    I've had some "horizontal sprints" like that.
    Not that I mind
    LMAO I'm not even gonna ask

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    TOTALLY worth it