New Lipid Panel

Primal Fuel
    Hello folks,

I just finished my yearly physical and my new blood works looks like this:

Total Chol: 254
    HDL: 92
    Trig: 103
    LDL: 141 (using Iranian method: 138)

So my CHOL/HDL ratio is 2.8 (in the ideal range)
    My Trig/HDL ratio is 1.19 (in the ideal range)
    And my HDL/LDL ratio is .65 (in the ideal range)

My doctor, of course, wants me on statins since my LDL is above 130. I said no.

I explained that I eat only whole foods and no grains, starchy tubers, or sugar and that means eating a greater percentage of my total calories as protien and fat, which may increase serum cholesterol levels. I also asked what evidence there was that high cholesterol causes of CV disease. He recommended I consult a dietitian. I said no.

I'm 48 years old, eating Primal for about a year, two strength and three high intensity interval workouts per week. I'm fitter, healthier, and stronger than I have ever been in my life, and my doctor wants me on statins. Again, I said no.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Good job on the numbers and on the overall health and strength. And tell your doctor to go pound sand (those aren't really the words I would choose, but I'm trying to keep the language clean).

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    If you're willing to string your doctor along a little, ask for the VAP or NMR test (one or the other, not both). As I understand if, these tests measure the LDL directly, and can also indicate the particle size. With your numbers you're likely to be Pattern A (large fluffy LDLs) which is benign.

Yay you! Those numbers look great.