Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 80/20 what does that mean to YOU page

Redflame is offline Senior Member

80/20 what does that mean to YOU

We see it all the times in the posts, often when talking about why we chose to partake in a big 'no-no'. But what is YOUR personal definition, how do you use the 80/20 rule?

In the PB book Mark suggests shooting for 100% and in actuality you will probably come closer to 80/20.

I know some people figure in to their plan 80/20 with the weeks worth of meals, for example, if you ate 2 times a day you could have 2.8 meals during the week that were not primal (THAT sounds risky for me personally, I would have a hard time getting back on plan)

What is YOUR personal definition of 80/20? And be nice......let's not bring out the clubs if someone does not agree with you!

For me, My 20% comes from my treat of a square of 85% chocolate about 4-5 times a week, the use of SO Coconut Milk, unsweetend for occational use in coffee or tea, or on berries, and the use of Best Foods Mayonaise about 2-3 times a week.......So I guess mine are of ingredients that have sugar or are processed, but I use them very sparingly. Since I am seeking substantial weight loss I am really careful to keep control on these things.

What about you? How do you use it? Do you feel your use of the 80/20 rule could be causing you problems--if so, how?
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I consider the primal borderline stuff (dairy, dark chocolate, dried fruit, alcohol, nuts) to be "20%" items. I prefer to keep them down around 5% of my actual intake -- going up to 20% on those items seems like a LOT of less-than-ideal food.

Grain, sugar, and processed foods are not "20%." They are very occasional (like once a month), chosen EXCEPTIONS from my way of eating.

Yes, that's stricter than Mark's basic PB. I like it that way.

ETA: I blogged about this a while back. The roommate in the post has now been primal (70-90%, few workouts) since about March and his abs are starting to show! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/...primal-living/
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 10-26-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    For me 20% means enjoying wings, fries and blue cheese dressing once a month, an occasional can of Zevia or square of dark chocolate for dessert, or ice cream if I cannot resist temptation.

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    For me: my morning coffee(half caf/half decaf) w/heavy cream and stevia, using mayo or ranch dressing a couple times a week, a square of dark chocolate once a week, an occasional glass of red wine (1-2 a month), non-primal oils or nitrated meats when eating out, and just eating the best I can though it might not be perfect when eating with others (like I will eat the green beans and meatloaf that probably has some grains in it but skip the macaroni and cheese, rolls, and cake).

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Shit, lately I live 60/40. I haven't been able to cook for myself much lately and since my folks always cook protein meats first and foremost I've been eating with them a lot. I know they don't care to cook with the coconut oil I bought them...

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    it means no stress. do the best you can in a given situation, and let the dice fall where they may.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    I don't consider 100% dark chocolate to be part of my 20%, I eat it every now and then as a primal dessert. For me 20% is a roll of sushi every other week, the ocassional beer, or beans when I get a burrito bowl at Chipotle.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Funny how I've changed in a relatively short period of time. When Mark asked this question as part of the challenge, my 20% was mostly taken up with a daily oatmeal, albeit made with ever decreasing ratio of grains to eggs. Right after sending in that response, I figured...why am I spending my 20% on ONE thing? So I quit it and haven't eaten oatmeal since.

For me, the 20% is very much dairy. I probably eat more than is ideal, though I've switched to grassfed, or raw when I can get it. The only issue I'm curious one day to experiment with is whether I'd improve my skin by quitting it entirely. An experiment for the future!

I count 85% or less chocolate as part of 20. 99% is part of the 80 to me.

I eat some almonds.

Occasional glass of wine.

I don't count coffee or tea in the 20.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    It means that 20% of total food intake should be chocolate, right?

Luxuries - like the amazing lemon tart at a family gathering at the weekend, or truly excellent chocolates or Maison Blanc patisserie or something every week or three. When I know there's one of these with my name on it, crappy sweet junk food looks a whole lot less attractive.

75% chocolate is a daily thing, though. Would like to see an army of Groks try to separate me from that.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think I really allow myself the full 20 on most days. I use Mayo with olive oil instead of making my own or I will use some premade dressings rather than making my own. That is about it so far, occasionally, like once a week or every 2 weeks I will have some cheese, that is about it. For the first time in a month I had some ice cream cake last night because it was my birthday party at home with the family, I didn't have any ill effects and didn't trigger any sugar cravings. Maybe because the calories were 210 a slice with 100 of the calories coming from fat
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast