Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight training ~every day? page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Weight training ~every day?

Shop Now
    I'd like to increase the amount of strength training I'm doing.

Before anyone replies 'OMG OVERTRAININGZZZ!' I'm not talking about max effort, everyday!

If I do a heavy deadlift one day, maybe the next day I'll go light with stiff-legged Romanian or sumo deadlift. Heavy back squats could be followed by overhead squat/front squat the next day. Or more reps with far less weight.

So, I'd be training the form as well as the muscles.

How does that sound?

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like your plan has you hitting the same major muscle groups 2 days in a row, THAT will hurt your gains. You can train everyday, you just want to keep an eye on what major groups are being worked if you want to give enough rest in-between that you aren't breaking down muscles you broke down the day before, if you were doing strictly bodyweight this would be a different story however.

Yes sorry I meant to put alternating days rather than consecutively! Good catch, thanks . And I posted in the wrong section. I've buggered this up a bit, haven't I...

Ahhhhh got ya, shouldn't be a huge problem then if you aren't shooting for maxes every time.

HAHAHA didn't even notice it was in the nutrition section

Excellent. It will be great to be able to work in some more variety!

Out of curiosity, what are you hoping to get out of this lifting style? Also I'd say just listen to your body as far as picking any sort of lifting plan.

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post

Before anyone replies 'OMG OVERTRAININGZZZ!' I'm not talking about max effort, everyday!

If I do a heavy deadlift one day, maybe the next day I'll go light with stiff-legged Romanian or sumo deadlift. Heavy back squats could be followed by overhead squat/front squat the next day. Or more reps with far less weight.

How does that sound?
    Try reading Pavel Tsatsouline's philosophy on this kind of training..you might find it useful. His book beyond bodybuilding explains all this in detail and is every penny worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalhorse View Post
    Try reading Pavel Tsatsouline's philosophy on this kind of training..you might find it useful. His book beyond bodybuilding explains all this in detail and is every penny worth it.
    Oh man The Mad Russian.....he is a great resource, I second this

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post

How does that sound?
    This may not be a welcome comment - sorry, if not - but why not do some other kind of activity?

Coincidentally, Frank Forencich at Exuberant Animal just posted a pertinent essay by a coach on the problems caused by too much time in the gym.

What people do, the coach says, is concentrate on strength and stamina because they can quantify those. (This will strike bells with what many architects mistakenly do when they produce mathematically perfect but ugly and dysfunctional buildings, with what "targets" for schools do, with all the things missed by time-and-motion studies. Just because you can quantify something, doesn't make it the be-all and end-all and what drops through your net unseen and perhaps even un-thought about may be more important.) Anyway, other qualities - he names speed and agility as examples - are at least as important. Moreover

Unfortunately, the neural patterning that results from this kind of training is decidedly unfriendly to a body that will be regularly required—in competition and life—to move; to react, stop, start, twist, generate speed and withstand impact.
    It can also result in physical distortions, stiff movements, mobility problems, and the pain that can be attendant upon those - things that people only have to undo later, possibly at great expense.

Here's the essay:

http://blog.exuberantanimal.com/focus-on-function/

I'd say do a different kind of activity. Do some yoga or tai chi or chi qong, or do some swimming or rock climbing, even dancing.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Split it up and down... legs one day, upper body the next, rinse and repeat. This is how I do it, I get bored if I don't train in some form some days. Sometimes it's as simple as a few push ups before a shower, some days is beastmode....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast