Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5k run in three weeks, best way to train? page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

5k run in three weeks, best way to train?

Shop Now
    I've been asked to do a 5k run on Nov. 15th. I've accepted and was wondering what's the best way to train for such a thing? I don't run now, only brisk walking and weight lifting. Last year when I was 244, I was running about 5k on a treadmill but that was long ago and at a heavier set. So, is there a way to train for it without killing my shins on a treadmill beforehand?

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Buy a pair if vibrams. What I did was run 5k one day at a fast-ish clip (7mph?) and the next day I would do hill intervals at a slower pace (5?)

I can't stress enough using minimalist footwear. Oh...I was able to run mine in 24:47, and I am sort of a fatty.

7! That's fast, to me. I do 6 at most from what I remember. I'm thinking more like 5 - 5.5, a modest pace, but also a sustainable one.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Vibrams can really hurt and chafe your feet until you get used to them, especially if you start with a 5k in them.

5k isn't such a big deal, though. I think you should try a 2k run this week, a 4k the next, and then a 5k the next. Throw in a couple sprinting sessions, too.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    It is CW that you need to train for a 5k. I run a 5k race about every other month and have done no more then sprints 1/week and then my regular body weight routine. I consistantly run under 22 minutes. Unless you really enjoy running there is no need to do any regular mileage. It also keeps you from getting the chronic injuries that plague runners.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Vibram themselves warn against going too far too fast right away. I think to run a 5K just 3 weeks after getting them is a setup for injury. And I'm a huge VFF fan.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Lots and lots of sprints and intervals. On hills when possible. I never run more than 800 meters at a time at my gym, and rarely that much and I can easily run a 5k when I need to.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the minimalist shoe recommendation. I think that people should ease into running, period, regardless of what kind of footwear they have. I would do a program like Couch-to-5K or Hal Higdon's novice 5K program (though you can start on a more advanced week if you'd like) and do the race as a walk-run. I see no reason to do sprints at this point in terms of 5K training; sprints are considered speedwork, and I would focus on actually running 5K without stopping, it's silly to work on getting your 5K time down when you're not even completing the distance yet!
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

All good recommendations! I'm going to ease into it this week by running 2k a couple of times, then advancing up from there each week. Thanks to all!

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of the Vibrams, I love mine, but I made the mistake of running a 5k way too early (2 or 3 weeks), and my right calf was TOAST for several weeks after it...

Be warned..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast