Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I give a whole new meaning to the term 'Primal fear' page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Unhappy I give a whole new meaning to the term 'Primal fear'

Primal Fuel
    I've been awake all night worrying. What about I hear you ask...? Monounsaturated fat, I reply.

Let me explain: - Before going Primal, I was a size 2 on my top and bum. Now, whilst my top half is still a 2, my bottom has expanded to a 3 (it's not quite a 4, and nor is it going to be if I have anything to do with it!)

When I was dieting the CW way, obviously all I concerned myself with was calories and fat grams. Now I have a whole bunch of other crap to worry about: - carbs (well they're easy - Just Say No!) protein and not only fat, but its constituent components.

I now have the Primal Leap Kit, and have calculated my numbers using Mark's instructions.

Daily calorie allowance: - 1,715 (1,331 before any adjustment; and as I don't quite understand this Harris Benedict thingy, I took the average of 'sedentary' and 'moderately' active and came up with 1.288)

Daily calorie deficit: - 467

Daily calorie allowance: - 1,248

Max Daily carb allowance (there's a special questionnaire in the Guidebook which you use to determine this) - 50g (though I was limiting it to 20g, and now I'm attempting to keep it below 5g)

Protein allowance: - 60g (the formula for determining this is outlined in the PB, so you don't need me to explain it again).

Fat grams: - 90g

Forget the carbs, I can deal with those, ne problema.

So that leaves me with protein and fat. Protein is a HUGE problem, because the meat sold here isn't as fatty as that sold in the US (and a tin and a half of tuna would send me well over the limit! Besides I don't want to eat too many top predators).

A typical lamb steak (of 75g/2.6oz) is 180kcals, of which 84 (21g) are protein calories and 94.5 (10.5g) are fat calories, so three of those (which wouldn't satiate me much, either) and I'm over my protein limit again!

Fish simply doesn't satiate me, so I don't buy it anymore. There were days when I was eating 6-8 smoked mackerel fillets (about 100g and 360kcals each) and STILL feeling hungry!

Dairy was my best source of protein AND fat (and I've STILL got 10x1lb tubs of Fage in the fridge - so what am I supposed to do with those...?! Dad will eat the cream, no probs, but he doesn't like plain yoghurt (nor does Mum - and she won't eat cream since the School Milk Incident nearly 60 years ago (in those days all schools were supplied with little bottles of milk for morning break. The problem was, this was Yorkshire in the '50s, so no school had adequate refrigeration facilities (if, indeed, any at all) and the bottles were just left outside each classroom when they were delivered in the morning. This was fine in the winter, but in the Summer, well you can imagine what they were like! The one Mum got, that fateful day, was completely rancid - and she was violently ill! She's never drunk milk (she has as little as possible on her cereal) or eaten cream, or plain yoghurt, since!))

Anyway, I don't know the mono fat content of anything I'm eating (which is now more or less just eggs and salad) so I'm scared to eat it! I don't even know the mono fat content of the eggs I've got (I know we should be having O3 eggs, but they're about 5 times the price of the ones I buy), I don't know the mono content of Fage (and I'm too scared to eat ANY dairy now because I don't want to get any fatter!)

Of the foods I do, and I've entered in to FitDay, my O3:O6 ratio is about 1:5 and, according to Robb Wolf's calculator, I would need 81 caps of the O3 I've got PER DAY to balance things out again! Even if I bought the 2 CillaKat recommends, I'd still require 36! How much more would I need if I knew the O3:O6 ratios of EVERYTHING...?! I dread to think!

I don't want to live on eggs and salad - not only is it damned boring, it's also making me ill (unsurprisingly). I had the shits from hell this morning - I couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough (thank the gods the floor's vinyl!) I've had to take the contents of a box of Imodium (6 doses) and I hope I've seen the end of it (or it's gonna see the end of me - one or the other!)

But eggs are safe (right protein/fat ratio and no carbs to worry about!) and I thought Fage was before I learnt otherwise.

I'm also only eating once a day (to minimise the damage I'm probably inflicting on my body with all the O6 (yes, I know I'm probably inflicting even more damage on it this way, but at least it feels safer!) I certainly don't have much energy (but that doesn't mean I'm sleeping at night these days, because I'm not).

I was having a little (about 0.5oz) Cheddar with my eggs, but I'm not so sure that's 'safe', either.

So what do I do...? The more I delve into this WOL, the more I find to worry about! If it wasn't for the vit D and Suntheanine I take, I'd be a screaming wreck!

I'm beginning to feel that ignorance really was bliss (but I WILL get back into my size 2 leggings again, damnit! Even these 4s are tight today I'm so ill and bloated!)

Sorry this is so long again (but you know I can't keep things succinct - and I DO TRY!!)

It's EXTREMELY cold and wet here in Buckinghamshire today, and I'm wearing just about every single item of clothing I have - including hat, gloves, scarf and my thick outdoor coat.

Right, I'll go away now. If this gets any replies, I'll be VERY surprised!

Peace,

Sarah xxx
    La tristesse durera toujours...

gator70 is offline Member
    I gotta ask, do you have an exercise plan somewhere in all of that planning? Worrying and stress doesn't help with weight either. I'm of the ignorance is bliss camp. I eat the best I can and don't worry about the numbers. I try to keep the supplements to a dull roar. Remember what works for some doesn't work for others. I have found that the keep it simple mentality is the only thing that works for this guy! Keep up the good fight, we all fight it!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    oh...my...god... you need some real life help before you hurt or destroy yourself. Seriously, this is starting to get insane and scary and you need to leave these forums and find someone off the internet who can help you deal with your food issues and knows how to deal with aspergers and autism because NOTHING WE SUGGEST HERE IS GOING TO HELP YOU.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Hi S_V,

I think that you're on the right track by eating more red meat and starting to cut down on dairy. Don't worry too much about getting everything perfect - An O3:O6 ratio of 1:5 is GOOD compared to the problems an imbalance on the magnitude of something like 1:40 could cause. EAT more than once a day. You need to feed your body nutritiously. I think you need to spend some more time each day focusing on things unrelated to health/food/weight so that your perfectionist tendencies don't get in the way of your own progress.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    Hi S_V,

I think that you're on the right track by eating more red meat and starting to cut down on dairy. Don't worry too much about getting everything perfect - An O3:O6 ratio of 1:5 is GOOD compared to the problems an imbalance on the magnitude of something like 1:40 could cause. EAT more than once a day. You need to feed your body nutritiously. I think you need to spend some more time each day focusing on things unrelated to health/food/weight so that your perfectionist tendencies don't get in the way of your own progress.
    You didn't read my post properly, did you (or maybe it was my fault for not explaining clearly enough)? I am NOT eating meat AT ALL!! Over here it's ALL far too high protein and far too low fat.

I don't eat fish at all, either - it just doesn't satiate me.

My diet at the moment, consists of: -

Eggs
    30g Cheddar per day
    20g Butter per day
    Spinach

That's it. NO MEAT!! When you only have 60g protein per day to play with, meat is NOT an option!

Right, I need upstairs; I need another Vit D/Suntheanine dose as I'm beginning to get twitchy and anxious.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind that you can always add fat to your meat! A nice coconut milk curry sauce, some butter with lemon, and so on...
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'll weight in on this one. I would suggest not worrying so much about getting too much protein. Protein is very different from carbs and fat in that it makes a very poor fuel for your body. It is true that a little bit of your protein can and will be used for neoglucogensis to acquire glucose that normally would have come from carbs this is going to happen anyway and if you're short on protein it's going to come of out what your body needs for repairs.
    So, my advice is to limit your carbs and fat to what you need to fuel your body, but not to worry about getting too much protein. Protein isn't stored in fat cells but is used on a continual basis in your skeletal muscles, liver, and other organs.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    oh...my...god... you need some real life help before you hurt or destroy yourself. Seriously, this is starting to get insane and scary and you need to leave these forums and find someone off the internet who can help you deal with your food issues and knows how to deal with aspergers and autism because NOTHING WE SUGGEST HERE IS GOING TO HELP YOU.
    +1
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I agree entirely. There are bigger issues that OP needs to resolve. The first being to develop a normal, healthy relationship with food.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What Rivvin and Daemonized said. That is your answer. End of thread.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast