Thread: Hi all, trying to achive some stability page

Triathloon is offline Member

Thumbs up Hi all, trying to achive some stability

Former 300 lb'er here. Finally realized a few years ago that I desperately needed to make some changes (read: I simply got tired of being a fat-ass). After much thought, I came to the conclusion that I needed a hobby I could love that was fitness based. Luckily I worked in very close proximity to a lifelong cyclist (road and mountain) who gave me great tips on my quest. I decided on a mountain bike, and my life has not been the same. Thankfully!

I hit the steep, rocky trails of east TN and loved every minute of it. Couldn't get enough of the technical trails and just getting outdoors. It was tough at first being fat... I used to ride 2 minutes and huff/puff for 5. Eventually dropped a few pounds and found myself riding waaaay more than breaking. Everything really came together after a couple years of mtn biking when I bought my first road bike, AND got a grip on my eating habits.

It was a great year and I ended up losing about 70-80 lbs. Gone were the 42" pants (jeez, 42). I look back at my driver license picture and just shake my head. Anyway, here I am a few years later still stuck at that 200-220 level. I so very much want to break the plateau and get down to the 175 and/or 10% body fat area.

My big issue right now is simply being inconsistent with my eating habits. I have had some success with fasting (Eat-Stop-Eat) and with a Paleo style of eating. I always seem to stray though... having serious problems with binging on bad foods (Tostitios, peanut butter, and bread being my enemies). Unfortunately my family and I aren't on the same page (far from it) so the bad foods are always around... just something I have to deal with.

So I discovered PB this week and have decided to hit Paleo again with a renewed vigor next week as I just can't bring myself to throw out the large containers of rice and cajun bean soup that I cooked today.

Cycling is still my passion... only road these days, no mountain as I live on a small island in the pacific. I really enjoy the long endurance rides and I'm interested to hear what other PB cyclists here eat during a ride.

So, hello PB Nation... I look forward to good success here!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

Hope this ends up being THE solution for you, starting next week...
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thank you Liz.

I have to say... more than anything, what I want most out of this is what you say in your signature.

"...and the least stressed about food"

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    Hello ,welcome......

Quote Originally Posted by Triathloon View Post
    Thank you Liz.

I have to say... more than anything, what I want most out of this is what you say in your signature.

"...and the least stressed about food"
    I wrote that 2 months ago, 1 month into it. Still feeling it, still relishing it. Food is FUN for the first time in my life! Before it was either CW food that made me feel bad in the long run and made me gain weight, or strict eating plans that had me lose weight but feel like I was hanging on by my fingernails.

The only problem is that it's turning me into an evangelist, and that's not my favorite kinda person
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

OK Liz, your admonition (intentional or not) regarding 'starting next week' has struck home.

I started today, refrigerated food be damned.

Thank you...

-Alan

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I had to give up running before I really started seeing major changes. I got to just under 200lbs and couldn't budge. I was running 50-60 miles per week at that time. I strted PB and decided to stop running and started doing BW exercises and sprints. Then I lost another 20lbs. I am sitting at between 180-185lbs now and it is easy to maintain without all the chronic cardio. This is what worked for me but YMMV. I can understand your attachment to cycling, it was like running for me. It was the mechanism that helped drop a lot of weight. I am not sure if it is healthy in the long run though. Good luck in your journey.

Thanks MightyAl...

(Un?)luckily I'm currently in a walking boot/crutches because of a stress fracture in my heel, I had diagnosed myself with plantar fasciitis a few years ago... but oddly enough (as I am not a doctor) it was a misdiagnosis. A bone scan this summer revealed that I have a stress fracture. Needless to say, no running for me.

I really do love cycling... but I don't think the attachment is due to my weight loss. I get a total buzz pulling on the cycling clothes, tightening the shoes, locking on to the pedals, and shoving off for a ride. Sitting in the cockpit of my road bike and seeing my hands on the bar, hearing the slight whir of the chain against the cogs, and feeling the breeze on my face... gives me goosebumps. I literally get excited, almost giddy, when I know a ride is coming up. I like the long rides, with lots of hills (though there aren't any here on the tiny island I live on). I guess it really is an addiction. I never dreamed I would ever consider this a bad thing.

I've also developed a fascination with the whole concept of an ultramarathon. I went to Leadville, CO for the Trail 100 back in August and loved it. I guess the ultramarathon lifestyle is the ultimate example of 'chronic cardio'? What is so attractive about that to someone like me? It's not a show-off competitive thing... I couldn't possibly dream about actually winning one. But for some reason the thought of finishing Leadville within the cutoff time thrills me to no end. Perhaps my adventures into PB will sober that dream some.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathloon View Post
    OK Liz, your admonition (intentional or not) regarding 'starting next week' has struck home.

I started today, refrigerated food be damned.

Thank you...

-Alan
    Dang, and I thought I was being so subtle
    Liz.

Red face

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    STARTING NEXT WEEK (YOU BIG SLACKER)

That's what it looked like when I first read it! Good job

Naturally it echoed... echoed... echoed... in my head for a few hours afterwards too.

I need to go start my journal I suppose.