Thread: Hypothesis about "Caveman Bread" page

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member

Hypothesis about "Caveman Bread"

Shop Now
    There is a question no one seems to be asking about the grain residue on paleolithic tools:

Was this residue really foodstuffs? Just because they find ground starch on a mortar and pestle, doesn't necessarily it was consumed as starch, or consumed at all. What is the first thing that happens when water is added to starch? It gets gooey and sticky.

Paste. They were making paste. Perhaps it was to seal the leaks in a shelter. Perhaps they were making dyes or facepaints. Perhaps they figured out how to make a paleolithic lecithin so the brontosaurus burgers wouldn't go bad on the way home to Wilma.

My point is: There are SOOOOOO many other uses for starch that don't involve eating. Why is everyone so scope-locked on the food part?

I particularly like Melissa McEwan's Drunk hypothesis, however.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    i don't know that many Groks are locked on the food. We are like, OK, they probably ate anything that looked like food. Whatever.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by New Renaissance View Post
    Was this residue really foodstuffs? Just because they find ground starch on a mortar and pestle, doesn't necessarily it was consumed ... Perhaps it was to seal the leaks in a shelter. Perhaps they were making dyes or facepaints.
    Good grief. Now the find provokes somewhat heavy-handed attempts at humour.

I fear we're never going to free of this interesting, but relatively minor, story.