Thread: Soaked Almond Milk page

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member

Soaked Almond Milk

Ok - just thought I would share and see if anyone had anything to say:

I learned how to make homemade almond milk - delicious! I soak one cup of almonds overnight, rinse thoroughly in the morning.

Then I whirr them in the blender with 2 cups or so of pure water and some stevia or a couple of dates. Drain through a cheese cloth - and you have fresh almond milk - easy and delicious!

Then I use the leftover almond grindings to make primal granola. I feel like a native american back in the day - using all of the buffallo and not letting anything go to waste! I am working on a primal almond cookie recipe for my leftover almond grindings. Anyone got any ideas!

I know the omega 6 ratio is high in nuts, but sometimes you want something different than coconut milk and I don't do dairy - so this really works for me.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I made it last week and it is so much better than the store bought stuff. I used some unstrained in my coffee and found it unusual to be chewing my coffee....

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    I use cheesecloth to strain the almond pieces, but I found out recently that you can use pantyhose to strain it. How easy is that?

Seriously delicious - my picky husband eats the granola in the fresh almond milk and loves it! And I get to health him up a little.

Paint strainer bags look exactly like those nut milk bags I see online...

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Can you make a bunch of it and save it or does it need to be made fresh every time?

I don't see why you couldn't freeze it...I know fresh almonds freeze well.

On a separate topic, I saw a You Tube video of somebody using one of those super high powered/super expensive $350+ blenders to make cashew milk. I have always thought they were a bit of an overpriced scam, but this thing pulverized/emulsified the nuts to such an extent that there was no need to strain it. (it was not a Vita Mix but something along those lines).

CleverChef is offline Junior Member

What do to with leftover almond meat

I saw your thread on reusing the leftover almond grindings. Try sprinkling them with cinnamon and spreading them out on a cookie sheet. Put that in the oven around 200 degrees, stirring often, over about 20 minutes to dry them out. They'll be great on anything from cereal to ice cream.

Also, using a sprout or nut milk bag is the best way to get the largest amount of milk with the least amount of floating bits. Careful though, I've had a few blowout already.

nutritionut is offline Member
    Hah, I just did exactly what you described yesterday: I made almond milk and ate the almond "pulp" with some coconut butter. It was pretty good. I love almonds.

Unfortunately, they are irradiated/pasteurized in the U.S., so I'd recommend getting them from a non-U.S. source

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverChef View Post
    Also, using a sprout or nut milk bag is the best way to get the largest amount of milk with the least amount of floating bits. Careful though, I've had a few blowout already.
    Try paint strainer bags from Home Depot.