Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poison Ivy page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

Poison Ivy

Primal Fuel
    ...as smart as our anscestors were at identifying plants, it is a WONDER that we survived with something as hellish as poison ivy around. I got it last Tuesday, it showed up Friday, and it has made NASTY progression since. I'm at a loss. It is nearing my face and I have a big thing coming up on Monday where my face will be definately in the limelight. It is all over my arm and it has made it to my chin, my neck, and now my opposite hand. I'm not scratching-- I'm washing with Ivy Soap, then dabbing with alcohol, then spraying with Ivy-Dry and dabbing with calamine. I'm taking rhus toxicodendron and I'm about to start in on the Benedryl. I'm usually VERY homeopathic, I don't ever take medication or use chemical creams, but I'm getting DESPERATE...

What are your experiences? Can you imagine foraging through uncharted territory into a patch of this stuff???

I was all set to break down and get a shot for this stuff but I don't have insurance. Ugh.
    Little Saiyan

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    If it's that bad, you may need a brief course of oral steroids (prednisone). My hubby got it that bad one year when assisting one of the kids to hunt for frogs. The kid was fine, but he needed the steroids for a few days, due to nasty, weeping rash. You may need to bite the bullet and take a trip to a clinic for this one.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Yikes! Fortunately, I have never reacted to it. I'm no dare-devil and won't grab it or anything, but the few times I have come in contact with it......nothing.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Two things to try
    1. Tecnu, you scrub it like soap and it neutralizes it, goglle to find a pharmacy that carries it
    2. Coat it wit antiperspirant. Helpful before it gets full- blown. I like Ban roll on.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I avoid antiperspirant containing aluminum, and I think the aluminum is what does it!

Tecnu looks promising. Greensprout-- how much do those cost? I'm trying to find my way to steroids that I can afford. That'd be way easier than a shot for sure...

kcult-- the 'daredevil' part was what got me into this mess. I was hiking at a park and there was a river down below a cliffy structure, and I suddenly thought 'hey, that'd be fun to go down.' So I did. And it was fun. Then.. on the climb back up, a root I had grabbed broke and my arm scraped a nearby plant. Guess what plant it was? :P
    Little Saiyan

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that it takes a couple weeks to get out of your system. Normally.

Once in Boy Scouts, back in the fifties, when we were at a Camporee, the Scoutmasters ignorantly burned a bunch of poison ivy in the campfire at night. The poison was transmitted by smoke and most of the kids had poison ivy all over their faces, inside noses, eyes swollen shut by next day. A lot of school was missed that week. I didn't miss school, but had it bad on my face, the worst case I ever had of it. Seems like as a kid I always had poison ivy in summer, often between my toes. I believe the poison is still potent in winter, when the leaves are gone, through the vines themselves.

My wife got it this summer on her face; she swelled up so badly that she was nearly unrecognizable.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    Greensprout-- how much do those cost? I'm trying to find my way to steroids that I can afford. That'd be way easier than a shot for sure... :P
    Sorry, can't give you an accurate number, the Canadian medical system is different, plus me and hubby are military so get our stuff covered. I'd guess for a 5 day course of tapering dosage, maybe $30-40? Someone from the US might have more to add here.

Regardless, if you can swing it, the steroids will work at decreasing the swelling and itching. Worth it, if you are able.

Atlas is offline Member
    I've not tried this, but the jewelweed plant is supposed to be a natural remedy. (Studies show it is often more effective than modern medicines.) You can probably find jewelweed tincture in health stores, or growing outside still depending on where you live. Good luck!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I've always like Robb Wolf's illustration about poison ivy and the inflammation involved, and how that compares to what is happening inside your body when you eat grains.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Have a female friend who squatted on one to take a leak. No good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast