Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poison Ivy page 2

StillWild is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Two things to try
    1. Tecnu, you scrub it like soap and it neutralizes it, goglle to find a pharmacy that carries it
    Tecnu!! My boyfriend is HIGHLY allergic to Poison Ivy (me, not so much). Tecnu is the only thing that works. For him, calamine and alcohol will only make it worse. They dry out the skin instead of acting on the Urushiol that's causing the problem.

Good Luck!!!

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    I have no experience with poison ivy, ever, but if steroids help-

Why not hydrocortisone cream?

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    The hydrocortisone cream didn't do anything

This morning when I woke up, it had spread further on my chin and neck, my hands, and my arms, and then finally began to appear on my stomach, forehead, temples, and eyebrow.

I broke down and went to a doctor and got a big SHOT and a prescription for oral steroids to be taken during the next few weeks. :C
    I'm applying manuka honey (my standby skin-healer) and gauze to the infected sites.
    Little Saiyan

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    The hydrocortisone cream didn't do anything

This morning when I woke up, it had spread further on my chin and neck, my hands, and my arms, and then finally began to appear on my stomach, forehead, temples, and eyebrow.

I broke down and went to a doctor and got a big SHOT and a prescription for oral steroids to be taken during the next few weeks. :C
    I'm applying manuka honey (my standby skin-healer) and gauze to the infected sites.
    Hydrocortisone doesn't usually touch mild poison ivy, much less a case like this. You did the right thing. Only steroids will work when it gets this extreme. Tecnu will still help to speed up the healing. You might find you need to apply it 2 or 3 times.

tommy70817 is offline Junior Member
    You can't do much better than the steroid injection. If you want some relief from the itching to allow you to sleep at night, my advise is to take a hot shower before bed. Turn the water up as hot as you can stand it. This will cause the histamines in your body to be released. If you stay in long enough you will temporarily deplete much of the body's supply until it can manufacture more. Now the itching sensation will become VERY intense while in the shower (You'll go cross-eyed for sure), but stay under the hot water as long as you can until the sensation subsides. It'll take take hours for your body to develop more, so you will be able to sleep at least.

Now, to prevent another exposure remember the rule I learned as a Scout. "Leaves of three, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by tommy70817 View Post
    Now, to prevent another exposure remember the rule I learned as a Scout. "Leaves of three, let it be."
    My dad taught me that growing up-- and throughout my entire life I had thought that this ( http://www.naturestation.org/upload/...%20ragweed.jpg ) was poison ivy! I just found out its giant ragweed. bad for allergies, but my aversion was probably a bit over-strong
    Little Saiyan

Fideo is offline Junior Member
    I had a bad bout of poison ivy last year. It is caused by urushiol oil. Once the oil is washed off it will not continue to "spread" It may appear to as rash appearance is directly related to concentration of the oil and sensitivity of your skin in any given area. Because of this it appears to spread in scratch patterns radiating from the initial contact point.

Tecnu is good stuff for washing away urushiol oil. To limit the potential for spreading; Make sure you completely wash your body, clothes, bed linen, and anything that may have come in contact with the oil either directly from the plant or from your body. Unfortunately the oil stays viable for an incredibly long time. All you can really do other than that is to let it run its course and avoid scratching, because that can cause infection.

I did get it on my face. The whole incident was my own stupidity and the red splotches clashed with my business suit and gold tie.

Good luck

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    To relieve the tenderness and itching have a luke warm (not hot!) bath with a few drops of lavender essential oil and tea tree essential oil and a couple handfuls of ground up dry oatmeal (although being primal you may need to go out and buy some, since you probably won't have any in your cupboards). This combination has a general calming and soothing effect for irritated skin. I know it sounds simple but it will give you at least a few hours of respite, helpful just before you go to bed so you can relax enough to fall asleep without the irritation of your skin keeping you awake.
    Lotions like Aveeno with oatmeal help a bit, it keeps the skin from being dried out and the itching intensifying. My grandfather always swore that the best thing to do was stand over a basin and repeatedly pour cold whole milk or cream over the area of the rash. He said it neutralized the oil in the plant that caused the reaction in the first place. I remember him doing this to my cousins after they walked through a patch of poison ivy but I was very young at the time.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Quote Originally Posted by Fideo View Post
    Unfortunately the oil stays viable for an incredibly long time.

Oil stability where we DON'T want it XD!

Leanne - that sounds great! I wonder why the oatmeal works.
    Thanks everyone for your help. Its getting better and the most obvious leper-patches on my neck have subsided enough to not look frightening!
    Little Saiyan

loneviking is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How did Grok survive? Simple, find the human that's immune and have them take point! My dad is immune, I'm immune and two of my three kids are immune to both Poison Ivy and Poison Oak. We always make out like bandits when Blackberry season in the Sierra Nevadas rolls around. We can go where no one else can go and where there are still scads of berries!

As noted, Oatmeal seems to work rather well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast