Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need fruit? page

James17 Guest

Primal Fuel

Fruit and vegetables are great and full of awesome vitamins. But fruits are carby. I'm considering cutting out fruit to keep my carb intake down. Is there any reason we need to eat fruits? Do they contain anything that's important which we can't get from vegetables?

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Doubt it. But for a 17 year old, physically active male, I really wouldn't worry about fruit carbs. Reeeally.

Madame P is offline Junior Member

There is nothing vital in fruits that you can't get from vegetables and meat.

However, a handful of berries doesn't have that many carbs and offers a concentrated source of antioxidants that promote general health.

Tarlach is offline Member

It is doubtful that anyone needs fruit.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I consider it this way... at least in my climate, chances are Grok didn't have access to fruits most of the year, so I would say fruits are a rare treat, not a staple. It's going to be hard, but I'm really going to try to stay as seasonal with my foods as possible, which means (perhaps) no fruit through the winter months, or keeping it extremely rare. Of course fruit is in abundance in the summer, which means (perhaps) eating as much fruit as I want when they're in season.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Do we need eggs? Do we need broccoli?

Sure, fruits are not the sole source of any particular nutrient. But most of us here already have a very large list of forbidden foods; I see no need to suck the joy out of life. And believe me, I get lots of joy out of an ice-cold watermelon or a mango smoothie.

bcbcbc Guest

Berries are an excellent solution that often have more nutrition and less digestible carbs at the same time. They are more like truly primal fruits than the carb-bomb apples and bananas and such that are products of 10,000 years of agriculture.

Blueberries are an especially good source of some things that I forget at this moment.

Serge is offline Junior Member

marika Guest

Well, for me, yes, I do need fruit. When I first went Paleo, I cut out fruits too much and dealt with a lot of diarrhea. I realized that for me, I need around 25:25:50 (carbsroteins:fat) to have a smooth digestion. Even now, four months into it, if there's days that I don't at least have a few servings of fruits, I get diarrhea. So I think I need it for the bulk.

A friend on another Paleo forum told me that perhaps women need a bit more carbs than men to maintain the slightly higher body fat ratio we need. Makes a lot of sense. Also I wonder if women's need for slightly higher fruit/carbs could be evolved from women doing more of the gathering rather than the hunting back in the stone age?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I don't know about that women needing more carbs thing. I went carnivore for a couple days and felt wonderful. I'll be doing it again soon, after I get some of this zucchini cleaned up. I find I operate very well on very low carbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast