Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do we need fruit? page 3

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yep, I agree with frogfarm 100%

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

"What does enjoying fruit or losing weight have to do with the original question?"

This is a discussion board, not Wiki-Answers. Discussions will diverge from the original topic or responders might decide to question the intent of the original question. So while the question might have been "Do We Need Fruit", it is perfectly acceptable to respond "No, but...".

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I'm with you, Dave and Dragon! Fruit is healthful and I'll eat it in moderation, thank you very much.

I fall into the "not trying to lose weight" group and I'm very active re both lifestyle and formal workouts and have concluded (with the help of this forum -- thanks!) that a few extra carbs a day aren't going to kill me...or fatten me up, either!

James, you're young and also very active, right? I would seriously not worry about the fruit, as long as you're not gobbling up an entire orchard full every week. I eat up to 3 pieces a day, plus lots of veggies, while keeping my carbs around 150-180/day.

Somebody toss us a papaya.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Me, I'm pushing 40 and still fighting the last few stubborn inches of visceral fat. A mere quarter cup of fresh blueberries left my tummy bloated for a couple of days! I have yet to measure my blood glucose, but after that kind of reaction to even a low glycemic fruit I'm reluctant to test it again...

Considering the sheer scale of sugary things I ate for the first 38 years of my life -- boxes of Ho Ho's, multiple huge portions of ice cream, cake and brownies, you name it! -- I don't think it's unreasonable to assume I did significant damage to my metabolism even given the lack of obvious symptoms like obesity, diabetes, etc. It's both that and my extensive readings of different authors which convinced me to try a more radical carbohydrate restriction (radical in the proper sense, striking to the root of the problem). I'm still in the process of arranging my finances to have some actual medical tests run, and although I don't have a baseline for comparison, it should at least provide some more information to help me decide which way to go next. But the only thing I advocate for everyone in general is high fat, moderate protein, low carb -- anything more specific is up to you to work out for yourself!

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

I understand Frogfarm. I'm 47 and it took me 18 months to get my body fat percentage down to where I wanted it to be. Still to equate blueberries to Ho Hos doesn't seem right to me. It reminds me of the "A calorie is a calorie" and the "calories in vs. calories out" crowd. Not all calories were created equal nor were all carbs.

I guess the older I get the less willing I am to give up the nicer things in life. I've traveled the extreme paths before and I find the middle path to be the easiest to walk on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123