Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need fruit? page 2

davidy48 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Heretical thought it may seem to mention it here, there are many vegetarians and vegans who would say that we don't need meat either....

I sometimes feel that fruit in general gets rather a raw deal (!) from the Primal purists. After all, eaten in sensible quantities it's a great source of vitamins, minerals, nutrients and onti-oxidants. The 30 bananas a day people are off the planet of course, but we don't need to go there to get the benefits.

Of course I understand the concerns about fructose and insulin levels, but if anyone can persuade me that eating an apple is going to raise my bodyfat level they're welcome to try. In the meantime, I enjoy eating it in all its wonderful varieties, and shall continue to lose weight and bodyfat while doing so as I have been for the past 12 months.

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Some people are in to self deprivation and that's fine but it doesn't make them any better than people who want to enjoy the eating experience. I believe that if you are eating a well balanced diet then it is not possible to eat too many fruits or vegetables. You'll just get too full before you can cross that line.

The carb nazis need to cool it. Some of you say we shouldn&#39;t have any more than 20 grams of carbs per day but that isn&#39;t what the Primal Blueprint says at all. No more than 50-100 grams of carbs per day if you are trying to lose weight and < 150 grams to maintain your weight.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Hear, hear, Dave! (Carb nazis; love it!)

Tarlach is offline Member

Is Mark a carb nazi? He does say it is the key to weight loss. You left off the the bit of his quote which stated:

"0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss..."

The question was "do we need fruit?".

The answer is no. Quite a few societies live long and productive lives with zero fruit consumption.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

No, Mark is not a carb nazi. He allows me to have my 150 grams of weight maintaining carbs a day without implying that I&#39;m going to hell in a handbasket if I enjoy my fruit.

Remember, not everyone here is trying to lose weight.

Tarlach is offline Member

What does enjoying fruit or losing weight have to do with the original question?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Test

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Dragonmamma, you and I are in the same camp. Fruit is delicious and good for you (most anyway). To each his own but I can&#39;t see any reason to eliminate it from your diet, especially if you are a teenager.

I just get a sense from some people on this board that they think all carbs are evil and should be avoided and that isn&#39;t the message I get from the Primal Blueprint. Yes most Americans consume too many carbs (mainly from grains and processed food) but as someone said above, a zero carb lifestyle makes about as much sense to me as a meatless lifestyle.

I addressed that issue in my first post.

I&#39;ll try to make my point by repeating: Do we need eggs? Is there any specific nutrient in eggs that cannot be ingested in some other protein source? No, there isn&#39;t. Does that mean we should give up eggs?

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

This is one of the problems with using collective nouns

Bottom line, even people with similar genetic backgrounds can end up with vastly different carb tolerance levels based on how much insulin resistance they&#39;ve developed, and it&#39;s up to every individual to determine both where that line is and how they choose to balance/reconcile health and happiness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast