Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fish oil - more is not better page

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

Fish oil - more is not better

Primal Fuel
    Interesting article on the Healthy Skeptic site. Argues that long term, high dose fish oil supplementation isn't a good idea. Kresser has posted other articles arguing that lowering Omega 6 is a far better approach than increasing Omega 3.

the vast majority of the studies done that have shown a benefit have been short-term, lasting less than one year. The only trial lasting more than four years, the DART 2 trial, showed that fish oil capsules actually increase the risk of heart disease and sudden death.
    Interest in fish oil supplementation started with observations that the Inuit had almost no heart disease. It was assumed their high intake of marine oils produced this benefit. While this may be true, at least in part, what was overlooked is that the Inuit donít consume marine oils in isolation. They eat them as part of a whole-food diet that also includes other nutrients which may help prevent the oxidative damage that otherwise occurs with such a high intake of fragile, n-3 PUFA.
    http://thehealthyskeptic.org/when-it...-is-not-better

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Should read "high dose fish oil may not be better"

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Should read "high dose fish oil may not be better"
    I was borrowing from the article title, which argues that's more is not better.

jpatton624 is offline Member
    I definitely agree with this. The best solution is limited omega 6, no fish oil pills; just real fish, one serving every or every other day.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    I am very interested in seeing where this discussion goes

peril is offline Senior Member
    After supplementing with fish oil for over a year, I recently stopped, prefering just to eat fish most days and limit my n-6 intake (no vegetable oils or nuts). Chris Masterjohn's recent article on PUFAs was the main motivator for the change.

Trouble is that it really isn't possible to measure the effect of such decisions. I guess a conservative approach is warranted when you can't measure the effect. For me that means not supplementing and using diet to minimise n-6 as much as possible and balance it with n-3
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    If you really want to know your 3-6 levels, they test for that at www.lef.org

I had my levels tested, and they came back as 4:1 (4 6s to each 1 3).

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    O3 also seems to be more beneficial to women who have already had children and are post menopausal opposed to premenoposal women who havent had children yet and is potentially dangerous if amounts arent monitored...

NOTE: shrinking_violet i will post the source i read it from tomorrow as it is at work so you dont need to chime in with my posts sucking

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    O3 also seems to be more beneficial to women who have already had children and are post menopausal opposed to premenoposal women who havent had children yet and is potentially dangerous if amounts arent monitored...

NOTE: shrinking_violet i will post the source i read it from tomorrow as it is at work so you dont need to chime in with my posts sucking
    I wonder what the story is if you are menopausal and havent had kids ?
    and on your last comment.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately like most things in western society, when something is determined to be beneficial, people immediately assume that more must be 'more' beneficial. However many times this is definitely not the case. Fishoil is the same.

Omega3's are essential (as are omega6's!) but having too much, or more accurately, an imbalance, is just as detrimental as not having enough. The correct mindset is to have a balance of omega 6's to omega 3's in the 2-4:1 range. As mentioned, it's best to limit your omega 6's (linoleic and arachidonic acid) and then eat fish or supplement with high DHA fishoil to increase your ratio.

It's a fact of biology that PUFA's oxidise. We can limit it, but not halt it completely. Consuming excessive PUFA's doesnt increase oxidation directly, but as there are more PUFA's available to oxidise, much more oxidiation occurs. Oxidation of PUFA's is bad, and leads to cell and DNA damage.

Bottom Line, don't go chugging gallons of fishoil. Fix your diet by removing sugars, wheats and grains, and limit your nut and vegetable oil intake, and you will find you won't need much supplementation if any at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast