Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasting and Coffee page

Adrianne is offline Senior Member

Fasting and Coffee

Does black coffee interrupt a fast? I like to fast from 8pm the previous night until about 12 after I hit the gym the next day, but I don't like to go anywhere without a cup of coffee.

So?

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I try to do the same 16 hour fast every day. I drink quite a few cups of coffe and seen no ill results from doing so. I don't know the official answer but from my experiment of 1 it has been fine.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    No, black coffee is not going cause a change in insulin or blood sugar. It won't change the effects of a fast at all. The caffeine may also cause an increase in your metabolism as well.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Yay, thanks!

doghead is offline Senior Member
    I am assuming as soon as some heavy cream is added, this breaks the fast?
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    I am assuming as soon as some heavy cream is added, this breaks the fast?
    Yep. I do it anyway, it only derails it for as long as it takes you digest x amount of cream anyway. Still, best way is to go just black.

I've been adding coconut oil to my coffee so I figure since I'm already fucking up the no-calorie part of the fast I might as well further enjoy my ONE cup of coffee with some cream. Cream and coco oil probably make that one cup of coffee clock in close to 200 cals if not more... hmmm maybe I should re-think that ...

Whether or not cream breaks the fast for you is a personal choice. I try to keep my calorie intake as close to zero as I can personally, but there are other IFers who don't. Johnny at the leansaloon does put a little cream in his coffee during his fasts for example and that works for him.

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    I was just gonna post this exact same thread, i have noticed since i started measuring my blood glucose that after i have a couple cups of coffe my blood sugar is higher than after i eat a big meal, i don't use cream or sugar in my coffee just straight black coffee. normally after a big meal my blood glucose is around 110 to 130 but after a couple cups of black coffee it's around 150 to 160 while i'm fasting. and i have noticed that if i don't drink coffee while i'm fasting my blood sugar stays around 85-90 range. so my question is would the higher blood glucose with the coffee while i'm fasting would that mean i'm technically in a fed state or would it not matter since my body doesn't have anything besides fat to burn?

Quote Originally Posted by rabbidchicken69 View Post
    I was just gonna post this exact same thread, i have noticed since i started measuring my blood glucose that after i have a couple cups of coffe my blood sugar is higher than after i eat a big meal, i don't use cream or sugar in my coffee just straight black coffee. normally after a big meal my blood glucose is around 110 to 130 but after a couple cups of black coffee it's around 150 to 160 while i'm fasting. and i have noticed that if i don't drink coffee while i'm fasting my blood sugar stays around 85-90 range. so my question is would the higher blood glucose with the coffee while i'm fasting would that mean i'm technically in a fed state or would it not matter since my body doesn't have anything besides fat to burn?
    Well, the coffee it's self shouldn't be the source of the sugar in you're blood. My guess would be that the caffeine is causing you to dump some glucose from somewhere into your system. Caffeine is thermogenic and is meant to increase fat motilization. I stick to green tea while I'm fasting (and in a fed state as well for that matter) in part because I don't like the way that too much caffeine makes me feel.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Well if you see an increase in insulin doing your fast, your fat mobilization will be reduced until it goes back down. If it goes down again quickly I wouldn't worry about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast