Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get some 'splainin!! page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Can I get some 'splainin!!

This blog keeps my mind spinnin, kinda liek the Weightology blog, anyone read the latest entry on insulin resistance?

http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2010/...s-v-frayn.html

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Just makes me think "WE (humans) DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YET!"

And it makes me feel that health authorities need to slow down (maybe all the way to stopping entirely) on issuing dietary advice until we do understand it all better, and doctors need to slow down on the mass-medication of everyone. That's the main message I've got from GCBC so far (1/2 way through)....governments and doctors have jumped the gun and experimented on us all based on partial, inconsistent evidence.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Sure.

GCBC is the Paleotard's version of the Vegametarian's China Study.

Gary cherry picked information that supported his THEORY just like Campbell.

I have often wondered why people hold it up as scripture to be taken literally. Then I wonder if they have even read the book?

I think if you read the book with an open mind you get alot of food for thought. If you read the book expecting the answers to all your lifes problems you walk away with a distorted take.

It is good to see some Teh Insulinz Voodoo a la GCBC looked at a different way.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    It was exactly when I started reading about lipotoxicity (what she's talking about) that I changed my mind about the carbohydrate hypothesis and Taubes's book. Taubes wrote that insulin makes one fat by trapping fat inside fat cells, but then I found out that (1) in obese people fat is NOT trapped inside fat cells, quite the contrary; (2) fat being trapped inside fat cells is a GOOD thing, necessary for proper carbohydrate metabolism and fat storage (you need to store some fat after all); (3) there is a lot of evidence that points towards this not-properly-stored fat being the cause of insulin resistance in muscles and liver. Mind you, no one has said that dietary fat is bad, just that fat in the blood at the time it shouldn't be there is bad.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

sf40 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, MalPaz, for posting this here. I read it the other day and found it both interesting and alarming.

I am overweight, have struggled for quite some time to lose the weight, and recently learned I am pre-diabetic. As a result, I've reduced carbs, essentially by nearly eliminating grains. I would not say I am very low carb; I am getting about 20% of my calories from carbs, 20% from protein, and 60% from fat.

My post-prandial readings are fine when I eat this way. If I eat a bagel or something sweet, like a cookie, readings approach diabetic levels. Fasting glucose, however, has increased since I reduced carbs. I also have pericardial fat, which has been there since at least 2004. I did not connect the two (pre-diabetes and pericardial fat) until I read her posts on lipotoxicity.

Eating lower carb has helped me finally lose weight, though I still have about 30 pounds to go, and I do feel much better. But I wonder if I should cut back the fat to about 50%. I really don't know ... it seems the important thing is to burn excess body fat so fat will store properly in my fat cells and not elsewhere, like around my heart. I wonder if the pericardial fat will go away eventually. Yep, my mind is spinning.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    Sure.

GCBC is the Paleotard's version of the Vegametarian's China Study.

Gary cherry picked information that supported his THEORY just like Campbell.

I have often wondered why people hold it up as scripture to be taken literally. Then I wonder if they have even read the book?
    Elaborate. Do you have studies that he avoided or more specific points?

Edit: If you want to facilitate discussion you need to support what you are saying, much like the linked blog did.
    Last edited by lcme; 10-26-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    place marker
    Last edited by Sam Cree; 10-26-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast