Thread: question about cooking vegetables page

EagerOgre is offline Junior Member

question about cooking vegetables

Shop Now
    How do you guys prefer to eat your cooked vegetables, and what do you think would be the best way to get them as SOFT as possible while still retaining a lot of the good stuff? I've read too many conflicting ideas on this. I have an undiagnosed stomach issue but all I know is that for SURE I can't eat any of the cruciferous type vegetables unless they're cooked to death. Usually I'd boil them forever but I've read that this method is the worst by far because the water draws out large amounts of the nutrients and so forth.
    Anyway, does anyone have any advice for vegetables like green beans, brussel sprouts, or even greens? Oven? Microwave? What do you think? This has unfortunately become something I think about too much lately Alright thanks a lot!

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    My favourite....

Heat up some coconut oil, fry off some thinly sliced garlic, chilli (if you like them), ginger, whatever takes your fancy really. Cumin seeds are nice too, especially with green beans.

Anyway, toss your chopped green veg in the oil until it's thoroughly coated then add 1/2 cup of water and a good splash of lemon juice, bring to the boil and cover to steam the veg for 10 minutes (till desired 'done-ness'). Take the lid off and allow the last bit of liquid to boil off. Season and add a chunk of butter or splash of olive oil, toss and serve.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Steaming them forever would be a lot better than boiling them, because less nutrients would be lost.

Also, the recipe for brussel sprouts that was posted by someone last week (sorry, can't remember who!) is very forgiving of extended cooking. Saute brussel sprouts in bacon or butter, then smother in cream. Cook till done. They're good whether still having some bite or if you let them stew till mushy (which I find miraculous for any cabbage-like veggie, which usually gets awfully stinky if cooked for too long).
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    You could do go Southern style and drink the pot likker. I guess this mostly applies to greens. I've never tried drinking any other kind.

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the above comments and have an additional tip: Use a pressure cooker with a steamer rack inside it.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I like my veggies roasted. It seems like everything tastes better roasted. I just bought some coconut oil, so I'm going to start using that for the roasting.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I do nearly all veggies on the grill with coco oil. I guess that is part of Florida life. Grilling is year round and we have no shortage of natural vitamin D.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I just had another thought on this...it will be interesting to see if you actually HAVE to boil them. Maybe the water is taking away (amongst other things) the very chemical that's irritating you? The reason I thought of this is that my mom told me that boiling brussel sprouts for 5 minutes, throwing the water away, and then cooking them further prevents the gas they are infamous for. (Interestingly, I've not hit that problem with the brussel-sprouts-in-cream technique...I have sliced them thinly each time, I wonder if that helps?)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food