Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating out - restaurant tips page

urbansix is offline Member

Eating out - restaurant tips

I find myself inevitably eating lunch a couple of times a week at a restaurant. I did always like a nice sandwich, in this situation, and really miss those choices. Since going primal I have narrowed my primal-as-I-can-get choices to a couple of items available at most regular restaurants and bars-with-food. My main choices:

Burger, skip the bun (I order it as complete burger, not "no bun" - it's just not the same, and they tend to leave off the LTO and pickle spear...) , side salad or some other veggie in place of fries. The place I frequent has avocado as a topping choice. Or bacon.

Large salad, preferably with a meat.

Fajitas - this has long been the only thing I could stomach from your everytown large Mexican joints. Now I just skip the tortillas and still get a giant skillet of grilled meat and vegetables. It is very hard to keep your hands off the chips & salsa, though.

What are yours?

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I had exactly that yesterday - burger, left the bun, w/ avocado, sliced tomato, sliced pickle. Usually a side salad, too.

Steak sandwich, minus the sandwich is also good. I sometimes get a steak, but I just hate $helling out what they want for a decent sized steak these days. If I do, I'll get it with steamed broccoli.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I got a steak salad (medium rare…) at a pub the other night. One of my friends said “he’s got a lady’s meal and a man’s meal all in one” it was spinach, celery (yuck, didn’t notice or I would have asked without), red peppers, hard boiled egg, some cumin or cayenne thrown on top, bleu cheese crumbles and of course steak. It was good, typically I get burgers at pubs but I’m trying to be good even in those social situations where I’m not looking at food as “fun” but rather still just fuel, nutrition for my body, etc. It was very tasty though.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Just yesterday, I had 2 scrambled eggs and a side salad with vinaigrette, because I wasn't hungry enough for a full breakfast. I thought the combo would be quite odd, but it was surprisingly good.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Get the seafood platter. Mmmmm

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I usually do asian or thai and just skip the rice

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I seldom run into a problem eating out, since there are very few places where you can't get a salad topped with some protein, or meat with a side of veggies. Failing that, I've been known to eat the insides out of sandwiches or the filling out of a calzone (mmm...ricotta cheese and spinach). Plus, Asian restaurants are perfect! To be completely honest though, I don't stress about the oils in my food when I eat out - I would probably go insane (or hungry ) if I did.

As long as you're polite, friendly, and a decent tipper, most places are happy to accommodate simple requests of omission. For example, I went out for brunch yesterday and ordered "eggs Florentine, hold the English muffin," after apologizing for the strange order. I got exactly what I wanted (poached eggs with spinach and hollandaise sauce), and the restaurant got to keep their stupid muffin. Win-win!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

urbansix is offline Member
    Buffalo wings? Can't think what could be too un-primal about that, except for the bleu cheese dressing being from a bottle full of bad stuff potentially. But having a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of buffalo wings being not "bad". Might I be missing something?
    Last edited by urbansix; 10-25-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    As long as you're polite, friendly, and a decent tipper, most places are happy to accommodate simple requests of omission. For example, I went out for brunch yesterday and ordered "eggs Florentine, hold the English muffin," after apologizing for the strange order. I got exactly what I wanted (poached eggs with spinach and hollandaise sauce), and the restaurant got to keep their stupid muffin. Win-win!
    I just flirt with the waitress and usually this gets me my special orders without any hassle. Sometimes I order things that are not even remotely close to whats on the menu and they will make it for me. For example, about a week ago we stopped at a crepe restaurant and I asked for a combination of ingredients and to just put them in a bowl instead of in a crepe. They don't really do this there, but I was flirting super hard and she got all flustered and then wrote my order down on a sheet of paper... put a heart next to it... and then took it back to the cook to describe my order.

Am I evil for doing this? Maybe, but I always leave the restaurant full and without guilt.

Its only fair that I throw in the fact that sometimes I fall flat on my face and most likely end up with waitress spit somewhere in my meal.

edit: This plan fails horribly if the waiter is a man. Sorry dudes!
    Last edited by Rivvin; 10-25-2010 at 12:31 PM.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    This plan fails horribly if the waiter is a man.
    ???

It works fine for me.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast