Thread: Marks BBQ Sauce Recipe...where is the diet soda? page

Dynamo is offline Member

Marks BBQ Sauce Recipe...where is the diet soda?

Primal Fuel

I POSTED THIS ON THE RECIPE FORUM WITH NO ANSWER TO THE QUESTION. IF ANYONE HERE KNOWS THE ANSWER, I WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING IT

I was soooo excited to see this recipe! The header mentions diet soda is used in place of sugar, BUT there is no diet soda in the recipe! Can anyone tell me how much and what kind to use? Here is a copy and paste:

Ever wonder what makes barbeque sauce so delicious? Perhaps itís the 30 grams of sugar per 1/4 cup serving? Donít want to give up this comfort food favorite? Then try this innovative recipe, which [B]uses diet soda in place of the sugar!

2 strips of thick bacon, chopped fine or 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, or chipotle powder to taste (this gives the sauce its smoky flavor, so using either the bacon or the spices is fine!)
    1 small onion (minced)
    1 clove garlic (minced)
    1 6oz can tomato paste
    1 tsp liquid smoke
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup ketchup (again, use your homemade version!)
    3 tbsp mustard
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 pinch ground cloves
    1 pinch cinnamon
    Hot sauce to taste (any variety is fine!)

If using bacon, fry in a 2-qt pan (no oil) until cooked through. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes (or until onion browns). Add in garlic and cook for a minute, then mix in all other ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes. Test the mixture and add other spices, more vinegar or hot sauce until you achieve the desired taste. To store, scoop into a large plastic container and keep refrigerated.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It looks good as is. It has plenty of liquid. If it just isn't sweet enough you might add a bit of honey or molasses.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.