Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Almond Butter page

winencandy is offline Senior Member

Hard Almond Butter

Everyone talks about how much they love Almond Butter.
    How they scoop it and spread it or dip fruit in it.

Well my Almond Butter is hard.
    Very hard. I can't scoop it out.
    There is a layer of oil on top.

I've tried turning the jar upside down. For days.
    The almond butter stays stuck to the bottom of the jar and the oil remains below it.

This is the second jar (different brand) that I've tried.

Any suggestions? Do I pitch this jar and try again?

Can I save it?
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Well first question - how have you been storing it? If in the fridge, then no wonder it's hard!

Suggestion: - Try standing it in a bowl of very hot water for a bit and see if that softens it.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Can you stir the oil and almond paste together with a spoon? I remember havng to do that with peanut butter on the rare occasion I ate it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

It was like that as soon as I brought it home.

I've tried storing it in the cupboard, in the fridge, same thing.

I've got it sitting in a bowl of hot water now...
    Last edited by winencandy; 10-24-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I'm lucky if I can stick a knife down into the Almond Butter.

There is no stirring.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    hmm... Maybe S-V's idea would soften it up enough to be stirrable. If that fails, I'd say hunt for the machines that make it on the spot and use those.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    hmm... Maybe S-V's idea would soften it up enough to be stirrable. If that fails, I'd say hunt for the machines that make it on the spot and use those.
    Thanks
    If S-V's idea doesn't work, I think I will try that.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    You pretty much always need to stir in the layer of oil that collects on top of a new jar. It takes some work, and can get kinda messy, but a necessary evil. Once you get the oil mixed in (I use a butterknife), the rest of the stuff is not hard. Gooey, and scoopable. Then always store it in the fridge. If it starts to separate again later, just stir it back in, otherwise the stuff at the bottom does get rock hard.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    My trick with nut butters is to get an electric mixer with one beater. Stick the beater down in there, hold on to the jar for dear life, and let it mix. It will mix it way better than you can by hand. When finished mixing thoroughly, put the jar in the refrigerator. It separates more slowly than if you keep in unrefrigerated.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try to find a source for fresh ground like Whole-Foods or a food co-op. It doesn't last long enough to separate in my house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast