Thread: Primal with no Fridge - Freezer - suggestions wanted page

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

Primal with no Fridge - Freezer - suggestions wanted

Shop Now
    I have a friend who lives way up on a mountain where she has no electricity. She has a garden with veggies but since she can't refrigerate or freeze foods, she says she would find it difficult to be fully paleo because it is hard to find good canned meats that aren't full of salt and other crap.

I've been searching the internets and so far I've found some canned fish at this place called Vital Choice but I haven't found any beef or other meat that isn't really expensive.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what types of foods folks without a fridge can buy that are primal and where one might buy them that they would ship out to the outskirts of BFE, up a hill, across a rickety bridge, take a right at that tree and look out for the mountain lions.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Some good beef jerky would be a start. There are a few different varieties around as well as things like venison jerky which would relieve the monotony.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Depending on the mountain and such, she might try some of the older cold storage methods: buried beneath the frostline, root cellar, double barreling (I can't remember the official term, but African natives use(d) it to keep stuff cool. Essentially it was a slightly smaller barrel (1-2" diameter difference) inside a larger one, with the larger one being filled with sand or water to act as an insulator.) There are others, but they aren't coming to mind at the moment.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

peril is offline Senior Member
    Coolgardie safe is an excellent way to store vacuum packed meat for a couple of weeks
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Lactofermentation of a lot of the veg, and drying of some of the rest would be a promising approach.

It sounds like she isn't making it easy for herself, mountain lions and all that. How does she feel about keeping animals like chickens or cuys? (guinea pigs) She could get a lot of nutrition from eggs, but she'd have to provide protection from predators.

Cheese can be well stored if kept fairly cool. Unsalted butter can be made into ghee, which keeps without refrigeration even in hot climates for long, long times. Yes, I think I'd suggest buying the best quality unsalted butter she can find, and making about a year's supply of ghee. It could make anything else she is eating far more palatable and nutritious.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Some good beef jerky would be a start. There are a few different varieties around as well as things like venison jerky which would relieve the monotony.
    And yes it's expensive because 1 pound of jerky is made from 8 pounds of meat if I recall correctly. The trick is finding some with no sugar...

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Lots of options, but need more info on her situation.

You can make or buy all kinds of technologies to help in these situations. Solar ammonium ice makers, photovoltaics, wind turbines, small scale hydro, dehydrators, fermentation crocks, etc.

On foods that require very little storage tech, there are some options. Pemmican. Jerky. Biltong. Sardines. Salted fish. Cured meats. Fermented veggies. Etc.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    You need to check into the Icey Ball freezer----all you need is a fire to freeze things. Years ago I made one from an old box freezer and two copper balls from a toilet. Sold it long ago, wish I didn't.

Here's a link to get you started. Google for a lot more references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icy_Ball
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    She should can the heck out of everything, veggies, meats, etc. That's the best way to store things and not have to worry about it, as long as she's got a place to keep it where it won't freeze and bust. I've got an aunt and uncle who shoot their max in deer every year, their kids do too, and they can a ton of it. I've not tried canning meat yet but they say it's super easy, I can bunches of fruits and veggies every year, works great as my freezer currently is stuffed with the beef we butchered. She could purchase meat in quantities and put it up, or shoot a deer.