Thread: what in the world can I feed these people page

transylvanian.girl is offline Junior Member

what in the world can I feed these people

Primal Fuel
    I am a little over a week in my PB journey and I enjoy cooking primal for me and my family. BUT next Friday we're going to have a party here (it's our daughter 1st b-day and there will be about 30 people (about 13 kids and the rest adults. Of this 2 are celiac, one is allergyc to EVERYTHING (eggs, dairy, gluten, nuts) and some have sensitivity to dairy (not allergyc, but enough to not feel very great if they eat dairy). What a great combo, isn't it? All from my husband's family side.
    My initial thought (before going primal) was to have a taco salad bar with corn tortillas (I have ton of ground grass fed beef in the freezer, home made guacamole, lettuce, salsa, mexican rice, and for those who can eat it, sour cream and cheese). I thought that way everybody can "customize" their plate according to their food sensitivity/allergy. I am looking for something easy(easy to make and easy to serve)- sort of like grab your food on the paper plate and find a place to sit. (this will be at 5pm so I will have to serve them supper).
    Now, since going primal I have a hard time convincing myself to feed people this (because of the rice and corn tortillas) but I don't know what else to do. I can easily eat this and make a salad with the above ingredients and skip the rice and the corn tortilla, but I know not everybody will go for that.
    Oh...and did I mention the cake? That's a whole different story. I have no idea what to do for a cake. What was usually served at other family gatherings was a gluten free cake (they were all excitted when the Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix became available on the market) and use earth balance insetad of real butter. And the one person that is bothered by eggs either doesn't eat any dessert, or has something else- like rice dream icecream.

On a side note, I would LOVE to convert them all to being primal. But I don't know if that's going to happend. They are trying to eat healthy and include lots of vegetables in their diet, BUT they also follow the CW with whole grains, low fat bla bla bla. I tried to talk to them about the grains and sugars, but they rolled their eyes when they heard that not even rice and corn is allowed. And their reply was "Asians eat plenty or rice and they are healthy. Italians eat tons of pasta and pizza and they are not obese".

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    How about a huge pot of primal chili, with optional cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    You're not going to kill them with the gluten-free tortillas -- I'd say try not to sweat it. What you're planning sounds good and far more primal than what any of these folks likely eat on a daily basis, so you're already doing them a good service.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    You're not going to kill them with the gluten-free tortillas -- I'd say try not to sweat it. What you're planning sounds good and far more primal than what any of these folks likely eat on a daily basis, so you're already doing them a good service.
    I second that suggestion.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Parties are a lot of work to begin with. Go easy on yourself. Don't try to convert anyone to anything ...

The reason people, on the whole, resist change is because it has a domino affect on their whole belief system. People need to figure out how to make something "their own". No one likes to be told what to do. Let them see changes and ask questions. Then they'll be more open to what you have to share.

It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought, with consideration for a lot of different issues. This party will be wonderful because a special little girl is turning one ... and loved ones are coming together ... and you are a thoughtful hostess. The PB is flexible; that's why the 80/20 rule.

Congratulations and have a great time!

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    I agree what others have said...don't stress!! Sounds like you have the gluten thing covered and that is the main issue for those that suffer with the celiacs.

Here are somethings I do for parties here

Grilled chicken drumsticks
    sausage and peppers in the crockpot
    Huge garden salad
    Shish kabobs

I am always having an automatic party of 21 at least whenever people come over so I am always serving a crowd, I also serve non primal things too like bread etc. because people will eat it, I don't partake.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Parties are a lot of work to begin with. Go easy on yourself. Don't try to convert anyone to anything ...

The reason people, on the whole, resist change is because it has a domino affect on their whole belief system. People need to figure out how to make something "their own". No one likes to be told what to do. Let them see changes and ask questions. Then they'll be more open to what you have to share.

It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought, with consideration for a lot of different issues. This party will be wonderful because a special little girl is turning one ... and loved ones are coming together ... and you are a thoughtful hostess. The PB is flexible; that's why the 80/20 rule.

Congratulations and have a great time!
    Great reply
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.