Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAO: - CillaKat - Thank you for making me realise I'm a prize feckwit! page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

FAO: - CillaKat - Thank you for making me realise I'm a prize feckwit!

Hi Katherine,

I know you don't really do PMs, which is why I'm posting this here. I wish I had you leaning over my shoulder every time I'm about to place an order with iHerb - you've just made me realise that the fish oil I've been taking is about as good as, well, not taking any at all!

Found Robb Wolf's calculator and calculated that I'd need to take about 30 caps A DAY of the crap I've got! Thankfully, it wasn't that expensive a mistake, but it is a mistake that's gonna cost me, because it means I've got to place another order and get charged customs + tax again and, when you don't have that much to play with, money-wise, every mistake counts!

So, I've now come up with this - 1 each, 3 times daily, of NOW DHA-500 and their Double Strength EHA - how's that look...?

Oh, while I've got your attention - is there anything else I should be taking? Mg? Biotin? Selenium? I just want to get it right - before I bankrupt myself completely!

Cheers m'dear!

Sarah xxx
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables! . I kid, I kid! (but maybe i'm not). But I sort of really am...sort of.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables are great; when they are cooked right. Cauliflower 'rice' with turmeric and goosefat, baked broccoli with coconut oil and garlic, and steamed greens with pepper and mustard are a universe away from the over-cooked, boiled, lifeless, insipid, disgusting (Spot a theme here?) CRAP that I grew up with. I'm just so glad I started cooking for myself and gave the veggies another chance

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Vegetables! . I kid, I kid! (but maybe i'm not). But I sort of really am...sort of.

Just be thankful you're 5k miles away - and I'm in a VERY good mood! You're riding a VERY sticky wicket, missy! I need the strength because I'm NOT giving up me dairy! I can't - I've got another 10 tubs of Fage in the fridge!

I'm getting better with the veg (tried some of Mum's - broccoli tonight; she takes after her mum (a friend, on another forum, said that his nan boils veg transparent - just in case the Nazis have tried to poison it! Think my mum's late mum was the same - and my mum's inherited it!))

I'm eating as many veggies as I can, but I'm low carbing at the mo (ketosis where art thou...?!) so I won't do root veg (not that I like it much, surprisingly!)

Yep, I know I'm odd - but I'm nice with it (well I am now!) You must find me a little endearing... I'm like an aye-aye - cute, just in a very ugly kinda way...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    The Italians have a gift for veg: they sizzle it up with a little olive oil and garlic, till it's just barely done enough to be edible. Almost anything is delicious if you do that to it. Also, changing the water when boiling bitter greens or broccoli, etc., can get rid of some of the bad tastes.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    I know you don't really do PMs, which is why I'm posting this here. I wish I had you leaning over my shoulder every time I'm about to place an order with iHerb - you've just made me realise that the fish oil I've been taking is about as good as, well, not taking any at all!
    It's still okay Just not as good as taking something better. lol

Found Robb Wolf's calculator and calculated that I'd need to take about 30 caps A DAY of the crap I've got!
    Rob's calculator doesn't make much sense based on what I know about EFAs. Since we're shooting for a 1:1 ratio of Ω3:Ω6, 30 caps is an insane amount unless you're getting 30+g Ω6 which would be a suprisingly high number.

Just check what your Ω6 intake is via nutritiondata.self.com then take enough Ω3 to balance it out.

You can see my linked supplement doc below for the rest of the info but:

yes, most of us will need magnesium

some will need selenium...I take selenium a few x per week.

some will need biotin.....I take biotin daily as it seems to significantly increase the rate of growth of my hair.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    The Italians have a gift for veg: they sizzle it up with a little olive oil and garlic, till it's just barely done enough to be edible. Almost anything is delicious if you do that to it.
    +1

Boiling the crap out of vegetables should be a criminal offence. My mother used to put potatoes and frozen beans or peas together into the pressure cooker and overcook the potatoes. I thought the beans and peas were meant to be yellow until I left home

If in doubt about vegetables, find some traditional recipes from non-English speaking cultures. Hard to go wrong
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    +1

Boiling the crap out of vegetables should be a criminal offence. My mother used to put potatoes and frozen beans or peas together into the pressure cooker and overcook the potatoes. I thought the beans and peas were meant to be yellow until I left home

If in doubt about vegetables, find some traditional recipes from non-English speaking cultures. Hard to go wrong
    The Indian subcontinent is also gifted in how to cook vegetables, for digestibility as well as taste. Their spices are excellent for fighting inflammation as well as food poisoning. And they use ghee! How could one go wrong?

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i've found that sauteeing in butter & garlic & sort of topping off w/ a bit of white wine, boil off the alkeehol then add broth & simmer for a short while is a yummy way to cook a lot of vegatables. I can just drink the sauce, i swear. I've done it w/ zucchini & mushrooms & spinach. I luv zucchini.

i agree that Indian vegetables are yummy. Those spices (which are still sort of a mystery to me) + all that butter make everything taste good.

Stevoman is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sarah, hi,
    Can't really advise you much on the fish oil but if you order less than 80$ and below 3lbs, then normal international postage is only 4$ from Iherb.. Its normal postage so you can't track it, but as I understand its much less likely to be stopped by customs.
    I live in Israel and in the past I too would get packages from various sites stopped at customs and have to pay tax. Since using Iherb, I always make small orders and so far no stoppages.
    And by the way , I take Nature's Answer fish oil, seems to work well for me.

Good luck,
    Stevie
    Last edited by Stevoman; 10-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast