Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why stevia? page

jodyanne is offline Junior Member

why stevia?

Primal Fuel
    I had never even HEARD of stevia until I was browsing a post yesterday but now I've looked it up and am curious. What I got from reading primal blueprint was basically that there's no easy ride - if something tastes very sweet, whatever it's calorie content, an insulin response is sparked off and you're on the rollercoaster. Maybe I picked this up all wrong? I basically took it that the only way to go is to re-educate your taste buds so that you don't want the highly sweet stuff.

But where does the stevia fit it into that? Am very interested to know - maybe I've got things all mixed up here!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think ideally, no sweeteners of any kind.

If weaning off sugar is a deal-breaker or a favorite treat-recipe requires a sweetener, then stevia seems to be the preferred artificial option and honey/maple syrup the best natural ones. All used sparingly.

I've hardly sweetened anything since I started this. I've made the chocolate baked custard from the PB cookbook and added maple syrup to that. I get small amounts of sugar from very dark chocolate.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    There are some who believe that sweet taste alone elicits an insulin response... however there's just as much of an argument for the opposite. On a molecular level, stevia is considerably different from sugar, and when I eat something made with stevia I definitely don't get the "sugar high" that I do when I eat something with sugar.

A lot of people are addicted to sweet things, and for those I would advise against using any kind of sweeteners (at least, initially ... until they overcome that), but other than that, nothing wrong with stevia.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    As I try to lean out those 'last 5 pounds' I have been getting more and more strict paleo to try to do it. Stevia, along with a whey protein shake in the morning, was one of the latest things to go in my Quest for Abs. I would also put stevia in my coffee. Now, to be fair, I don't think that putting a couple of packets of stevia in your coffee is gonna stall out your weight loss, I never found it to do so. I think where you get into more trouble, though, is when folks start making "primal" cookies and other baked goods. Now, I've had my share of almond flour cookies, but I consider them a 'cheat' food not everyday food. I probably will make some for thanksgiving and christmas.

I'd say rather than getting too get too hung up on the pseudo science of it (until some one does a controlled clinical trial testing stevia, other sweeteners it's all guesses) probably easiest thing to do is just try it out. Go 30 days without it and then introduce it back in for a few days and see if it makes a difference.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    A lot of people are addicted to sweet things, and for those I would advise against using any kind of sweeteners (at least, initially ... until they overcome that), but other than that, nothing wrong with stevia.
    Amy makes a good point here. I found that after being off ALL sweeteners for a few weeks, carrots cooked in butter taste like candy to me.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like stevia's interreactions with insulin are pretty complicated, based on the studies summarized here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/83...lin-reactions/

I have tried it a few times but I figure if I can dodge all sweeteners or enjoy the food without, of course that's what I do.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I eat it and don't have a problem with it. It's natural, 0 cals, zero insulin response and, until I read anything contraversial about it (from a recognised Primal/Paleo type-bod) I'll continue to enjoy it.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I tried some Miracle Berry the other day. Utterly bizarre, fantastic little things. A glass of diluted lemon juice was delicious!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    As a diabetic I've tried almost every sugar alternative on the market. Almost all of them have caused by BG levels to rise, except stevia. I don't feel guilty about having it a few times a day in my coffee.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    As a diabetic I've tried almost every sugar alternative on the market. Almost all of them have caused by BG levels to rise, except stevia. I don't feel guilty about having it a few times a day in my coffee.
    So you got some then - where from? iHerb like I said...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast