Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinister Goings-on Down Under page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Sinister Goings-on Down Under

Primal Fuel
    Apparently, the New Zealanders have been importing tons of waste palm fruits that the oil's been extracted from and feeding them to cows. So far so good ... or perhaps not.

It seems the cows have a bit of trouble digesting the waste fruits, but they do. However, this slightly unusual diet results in trans-fats in the milk, and hence butter:

“In New Zealand the palmitelaidic acid comes from our dairy foods which means what our cows are being fed is coming up through the food chain,” she says. “The ruminant bacteria in the cows’ stomachs are making it into trans fat and that’s the trans fat we get.”
    http://paleozonenutrition.wordpress....at-is-it-safe/

Perhaps it's a problem, and perhaps not. No one really knows. It's certainly an interesting illustration of how in the modern world your food can be altered in unexpected ways by trans-national economic deals in short order. If you thought New Zealand butter was from cows that were purely grass-fed, think again ...

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Why do we have to fuck about with EVERYTHING??? Nature is the way it is for a reason

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Why do we have to fuck about with EVERYTHING??? Nature is the way it is for a reason

Money...it's always about profit.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    The "Sinister Goings-on Down Under" title made me assume this was another thread about poop! ;)

And... wow, yeah, that's a very odd thing to become a major dietary component for a cow! No surprise it changes the milk.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    Money...it's always about profit.
    So short-sighted though. All these problems always cost more to sort out than they made in the first place. It's almost like borrowing in a way. Everything has to come fom something, and balance in the end.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=chronyx;247860]... All these problems always cost more to sort out than they made in the first place...QUOTE]

Yes, but they cost SOMEBODY ELSE to sort out. (Sorry, had a little sarcasm burp there...)

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Lewis - I'm going to pass on this article to the family I purchase my raw milk from for their info. Mind you with all the rain we've had in palmy I don't think they'll be needing any supplementing feeding for a while for their cows.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    The sooner the petroleum to extract the palm oil, ship it to Europe or China or America, ship the refuse to New Zealand, and distribute it to the dairy farms becomes prohibitively expensive, the better. That palm oil is grown on land which used to be used for feeding the local people.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Just heard back from my raw milk suppliers and they only feed their cows grass as they believe it produces a truly nutrient dense food. They are also heavily into Weston A Price principles.
    I feel sorry for the native animals suffering from the loss of their natural habitat, it's horrible and sad and I'm sure palm kernal oil is in so much food we consume now, although I try to avoid it as much as possible.
    And +1 to piano-doctor-lady.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Does this mean Anchor butter is now no-go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast