Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flax pasta? page

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Flax pasta?

Shop Now
    Has anyone ever tried making fresh pasta from flax meal? I know flax isn't primal, but sometimes I would like a pasta when everyone else is having some and would have it asmy 20%.

Vegetable and squash substitutes just don't cut it for me, I'm afraid, and any sort of "real" pasta is out of the question for me. I've looked on the internet but can't find any info.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

MonkeyGuy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Has anyone ever tried making fresh pasta from flax meal? I know flax isn't primal, but sometimes I would like a pasta when everyone else is having some and would have it asmy 20%.

Vegetable and squash substitutes just don't cut it for me, I'm afraid, and any sort of "real" pasta is out of the question for me. I've looked on the internet but can't find any info.
    Why isn't flax primal?
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Can't you just buy some dried gluten-free pasta at a health food store or something? Gluten-free is better than nothing, I guess, and it spares you the pain in the ass of having to make pasta from scratch...

Ouis is offline Member
    I know this is a frankenfood--but the inulin coated pasta made by Dreamfields does not raise my blood sugar--at all-even two hours later, although YMMV. I only have it once in awhile when I really crave pasta. Most of the time, spaghetti squash or some other veggie works just fine as a carrier for sauce. I use roasted broccoli for my "pasta" when I make "mac" and cheese. But once in a blue moon, Dreamfields is what works for me. If necessary, chalk it up to your 20%. Oh--and cook to al dente to preserve the inulin coating and the low insulin response.

I can't have anything starchy guys as I'm a T1 diabetic, so dreamfields and anything similar is out of the question for me as it raises my blood sugar too much. I can eat flax bread with no raise so that's why I thought pasta made from it might be good.

I wonder how pasta made with flax would turn out? fresh pasta is just flour, eggs and water, right?
    Fruit and starch free.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    tell us if you find out - i'd be interested to know!
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

@ Sheba. Hmm, I can feel a kitchen experiment coming on! I've never even made "real" fresh pasta though!
    Fruit and starch free.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Except for egg noodles, I think it's just wheat and water.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I'd look up gf recipes and go from there. You may need xantham gum or another binder in place of the gluten. I'd be sure to use a very fine flaxmeal as well. I've made my own gf sprouted pasta in the past (preprimal)--just once. After sprouting and dehydrating them, I ground the grains in a coffee grinder (came out like flour, but a bit more course). I found it hard to work w/ and the pasta was quite gritty--not so good... A finer grind would yeild a much better product IMO.

I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out for you! Good luck!

Also, have you looked into kelp noodles or sea spaghetti (I think that's what its called...)?

I just heard of kelp noodles today! They look interesting. Do they taste like seaweed?
    Fruit and starch free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast