Thread: Warm, waterproof footwear for winter - boots or shoes...? page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Question Warm, waterproof footwear for winter - boots or shoes...?

If I'm going to continue 'Grokking' in the winter, I'm going to need something better to put on my feet than trainers. Last year I had an excellent pair of Brasher walking boots (an eBay bargain) but they wre lost in Manchester (long story!) so I'm looking to replace them.

I need something warm, waterproof, whilst being light and breathable (my Supalite XCRs were wonderful, but I wasn't Primal then - I'm not even sure Mark had invented it back then!) and also offering excellent ankle support (which my Asics don't) so that, in turn, will support my dodgy knee.

Obviously, they're gonna be an investment, but I don't want to spend silly money; I've ordered a pair of Brasher Lithium GTXs (see here http://www.brasher.co.uk/catalogue/p...-gtx-lithiumwn) as they were the most similar to my much-missed Supalites, but I can easily cancel the order if I do so today.

I can't afford the gym, so continuing my Primal endeavours outside is the only way to go (now just to find some cheapish thermal layers!)

Cheers, Grokles!!

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Try cheaper shoes and these: http://www.sealskinz.com/

Highly recommended.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Is there a Lidl near you? Or an Aldi perhaps? They were advertising warm winter boots - look a bit like wellies only the section round your calf is fabric, not rubber.... The sole and foot parts were rubber though, so waterproof at least! I haven't seen them for myself though.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Is there a Lidl near you? Or an Aldi perhaps? They were advertising warm winter boots - look a bit like wellies only the section round your calf is fabric, not rubber.... The sole and foot parts were rubber though, so waterproof at least! I haven't seen them for myself though.

Oh, DAHling please!! This is Gerrards CRAWS!!! We don't do such low brow places as LiDL!!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Those Seal Skinz... Look... AWESOME!!!!! Can you wear them in the snow?!? I was going to buy a new pair of Vibrams (now in wool!) and a pair of toe socks, but these Seal Skinz things look awesome.

Hanna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The seal skinz are water proof socks that you wear in your regular shoes. I love them. But I managed to kill mine in the washer... : ( Getting a new pair before the snow comes!

In snow: yes!