Thread: In the fridge, I have 3lbs of pure, pastured lamb, bought yesterday page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Talking In the fridge, I have 3lbs of pure, pastured lamb, bought yesterday

Shop Now
    Yep, that's right, I went to the farmers' market in the next town yesterday (it's only once a month - and you'd need a large freezer - and an even larger bank account! - to stock up there!) I didn't really get there early enough either (it starts at 8:30 and goes on 'til 12:30).

I starved myself because I was looking forward to a nice hunk o' hog (sans crappy white roll, obviously!) and then The Whole Hog man wasn't there! I'd even have had the applesauce (charged to the 20% obviously!) as his wife makes it.

Nor was the vinegar man, or the oil man. So I bought from the goat lady (I prefer goats' cheese to cow cheese) and some trout pate.

But I wanted to share because this is my first piece of Proper Primal Meat (albeit at 7.50 ($12) a pound!)) I won't be doing that again - at least not very often!

The sausage man was there, but his bangers aren't 100% Primal - they're about 85% meat, 15% oatmeal (same with his burgers).

I'm thinking of suggesting a hog-roast to my sister as the evening meal for her wedding... Doubt she'd go for it, though...

Now, how do I cook my lovely lamb in the most Primal way possible...? I'm attempting to convert my parents (maybe this'll lessen the freezer arguments, when they see WHY I need space!)
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    /Jealous. Love lamb, but can't afford it on my student budget.
    You should probably explain what kind of meat it is. Is it ground, or do you have various steaks or what? Cooking method will obviously depend on what kind it is, but an idea would be to just google recipes and pick the one that makes your mouth water the most ^^

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Yes, farmers' markets without the pig on a spit are tragically incomplete places. (If you tell the nice man this while he cuts your meat, and inject suitable pathos, you may just get extra crackling.) And the raw Guernsey milk man wasn't at the Oxford one last time, either. I am raw-Guernsey-cream-deprived; you have been warned.

As the Panda was saying - what kind of meat? Not that I'd have much clue, as I'm still learning to cook with meat at all; I always just ask the stallholder how to cook whatever-it-is.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    Now, how do I cook my lovely lamb in the most Primal way possible...? I'm attempting to convert my parents (maybe this'll lessen the freezer arguments, when they see WHY I need space!)
    Most primal? Raw probably. Or lightly scorched over a fire of animal dung.

Dunno how it's best cooked. Depends what it is, as was said. For example, kebabs with a boned-out shoulder that's been marinated in olive oil and lemon are nice.

You could probably make Irish stew with most cuts. Basically, it's just lamb (would once have been mutton) stewed with root vegetables - something like this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle430245.ece

It's one of those stupid recipes that's been adjusted to appeal to the prejudices of modern dieticians ...

Older recipes also call for lamb fat and mutton stock, but I reduce the fat by trimming the lamb, using vegetable oil and a light vegetable stock.
    ... but you can ignore the sort of instruction that tells you to cut off and throw away the fat and to add vegetable oil that was rancid before it even left the factory, and so on.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My favorite way to prepare lamb roast is to coat it with a paste of olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and a little rosemary; then put it in a dutch oven with a little apple cider, some onions, and some cranberries, roast it in the oven until falling apart tender. I am not a big fan of lamb, but this way I can eat it all day long!!

Good luck!!