Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to raise carb intake a bit but can't do starch... page

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member

Question Need to raise carb intake a bit but can't do starch...

Ok folks, I have recently discovered that I have a thyroid hormone conversion issue and apparently VLC eating is one of the causes. I have been eating VLC <50g for ages and need some ideas on how to increase my carb intake without either gaining weight, or eating anything starchy like sweet potato or bananas as they give me wicked acid reflux (I have GERD and eosophageal strictures). Oh btw, I don't eat dairy either

Should I just start putting honey in my tea or does anyone have any better ideas.

Thanks!

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    I suggest an avocado a day. My favorite is to mash it up and put into a smoothie with berries, egg yolk, coconut oil, and vanilla.

beenbean is offline Member
    An avocado is a great suggestion, or, this time of year, especially, maybe an apple? Another possibility, especially if you're okay with nuts, is to add in some primal baked goodies, adjusting the ratios of sweeteners used (more honey or maple syrup to stevia?) and substituting coconut or olive oil for butter, if that's a problem. Elana's Pantry, Comfy Belly, and Healthy Indulgences all have great recipes. I find them so nutrient-dense and satisfying that I'm not tempted to eat too much.

I also have the thyroid thing going on (Hashimoto's, for me), and I've found that raising my carb intake has really helped a lot. Last week, I broke my foot, so was limited to a bit of hobbling around and kind of ran out of fresh meat and veggies. Was also bored, so finally made a batch of pecan shortbread from Elana's Pantry. Nibbled on that, ate some grapefruit, eggs, and a bit of chicken salad, had one of those carb-bomb gluten-free bagels, lazed around on the couch, and, much to my surprise, lost a couple of pounds to break through a plateau! I was fully prepared to gain several pounds, instead.

On the other hand, the months I spent trying to stay below 50 g. of carbs (or, for a disastrous few days, <20 g.) netted me only a very modest and extremely slow weight loss. But I don't think those months were a waste: they did school my tastes to be more primal, and that's been invaluable. I'm now not really worrying about my carb intake, because, for the most part, my default pattern of eating is not over-abundant in carbs. This means that I do have to make a point of eating something carb-y most days, and I've loosened my restrictions to include a bit of soaked brown rice or even a little bit of white potato (I know you said that you can't do starch, so those probably won't help you) from time to time. I'll have a couple of days a week in which I don't up the carbs, though, and these seem to help, too, though I'm not sure how.

Anyway--good luck with getting the conversion problem corrected! I've wondered if that might be going on for me, too. Will bring it up with the doc next time I see her.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    How many carbs do you need? And you can't do starch even when mixed with other foods like in a stew or something?
    About the honey: Theres a study where some folks are fed 10 tablespoons of honey a day for a month in addition to their regular diets, and none of em gained weight. It still feels like a lot of fructose though..

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Do you like parsnips? Turnips? Rutabagas? They would help you raise your carbs.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    rutabagas are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    As far as the GERD problem goes, try drinking ginger tea about ten to twenty minutes prior to consuming a starchy food. Alternatively, you could take a DGL pill ten to twenty minutes in advance. Be sure to get the chewable kind. "DGL" is an acronym for "de-glycyrrhizinated licorice." It's a licorice extract that has had its glycyrrhizin (a compound linked to high blood pressure) content removed. I find that it's extremely effective for dealing with any sort of digestive upset, including heartburn. Many people use it for this exclusively.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what would count as 'starchy' for you (carbohydrates = sugars or starches, and I'm guessing you'd just as soon not eat sugar...?). How about squashes? Nice and seasonal.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    A carrot.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmmm...that's tough about the sweet potatoes, that's a main way I raise my carbs up. You'd have to check, but if you do a big ass salad every day with plentiful veggies... maybe a full avocado spread out throughout the day... one apple... and some mixed veggies with dinner you could get it up higher. I eat a banana every day or two as well....
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast