Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the percentages? page

momofredheads is offline Senior Member

What are the percentages?

Primal Fuel
    What are the percentages of fat/protein/carbs supposed to be. I thought somewhere I read it, either in the book or on the forums here, and now I can't find it. Maybe I dreamt it I started putting my food into fitday and I was wondering where I am falling with it all. I think yesterday was like 67% fat, 19% protein and 14% carbs.

The only reason why I was wondering about the food is that I have hit a bit of a plateau, which is fine but I also wanted to see if it was something I did or something that my body is doing.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    There aren't really hard and fast percentages. Some people, such as Griff, will recommend 70-80% fat and others will recommend 50-60. Your ratios are pretty good in general. If you're looking to lose weight fiddle with the carbs a bit. Some people say go to 0 and others will sometimes recommend to up them. Are you getting enough sleep? Any constant stressors in your life? These two things can be very influential in weight loss.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Thanks leonardotmnt (teenage mutant ninja turtles they are my kids favorite and my husband and I as well...grew up on them)
    I just actually saw a post right after I posted and some were saying 60/20/20. So I am good. Yesterday was a wierd day, I spent a big chunk of my carbs on something stupid...dried fruit...so can't have that stuff around...it was like 50 carbs out of the 94g that I ate yesterday.....good thing the stuff is not in the house anymore that was dangerous.

I actually wanted to see if I could do ketosis, obviously not yesterday LOL, but see how many days I can keep it close to 50 and under. Definitely getting enough sleep and no stressors at the moment. I am thinking I need to fiddle with the carbs and see what happens.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by momofredheads View Post
    Thanks leonardotmnt (teenage mutant ninja turtles they are my kids favorite and my husband and I as well...grew up on them)
    I just actually saw a post right after I posted and some were saying 60/20/20. So I am good. Yesterday was a wierd day, I spent a big chunk of my carbs on something stupid...dried fruit...so can't have that stuff around...it was like 50 carbs out of the 94g that I ate yesterday.....good thing the stuff is not in the house anymore that was dangerous.
    Dried fruit is a product of Satan........please protect yourself and the kids by not allowing this in your house! You are right, it is very dangerous.

Now, concerning the percentages, there isn't any set in stone percentage. For me, it is 60/30/10. But this depends on the person and their goal [s]. Others do 80/10/10. Don't worry, your percentage is good. Twink it only if you have to.
    Last edited by Zed; 10-24-2010 at 12:04 AM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    No hard, fast rule. But I do recall that when Mark Sisson's wife, Carrie, posted her day's food, her fat was 70% that day.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    At health food stores it's getting easier to find dried fruit that is nothing but fruit and has no added sugar. It's the added sugar that causes dried fruits to have an unfairly earned bad reputation.

Anyway, percentages are different for everyone based on lifestyle and goals.

For me, if I had to guess (fitday won't let me log in right now), I'd say I average about 40/40/20 or 40/30/30, and I don't usually go above 50% fat. I'm a pretty active person though so often times I need the carbs for that.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I usually end up either 50/30/20 or 60/25/15. I definitely eat a higher percentage of fat!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, to me it looks like 10% protein is unnecessarily low for fat loss, considering a higher protein intake is often correlated with better weightloss doing diets.. 70/20/10 to 60/30/10 is more reasonable imo, but then again, different people do well with a wide spectrum of ratios as long as it's whole foods.

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting to see everyone's different ratios. Paleo/primal eating certainly covers a broad spectrum and each individual seems to have their own sweet spot for health and weightloss. I purposely keep myself out of ketosis because my body simply does not adjust well to it and I lose weight better with a bit more fruit, veggies and fiber. As a result my ratios have been averaging 50/25/25.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    If you're a woman with pre-existing hormonal problems (PCOS, thyroid issues, other metabolic conditions like pre-diabetes, etc.), it seems advisable to keep carbs between 50-100g a day, rather than trying to go into ketosis. That's what I've discovered, and it seems like that's what some others have discovered recently too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast