Thread: Fish oil = cure for insomnia? page

skink531 is offline Senior Member

Fish oil = cure for insomnia?

My wife has frequent insomnia. Lately though if she takes her fish oil later in the evening she gets a good nights sleep. Is this just a coincidence or is this one of the benefits of fish oil? I'll be interested to here what our local experts have to say.

Freedish is offline Senior Member
    Could be...but it could also be that she gets tired from the digestion of fat. When fat enters your stomach your gallbladder shoots out bile to help digestion, for some people this process induces sleepiness. For me if I eat too much fat for breakfast I wanna go lie down by noon. Hehe.

Camelia is offline Junior Member
    Actually it had the opposite effect for me. When I was taking fish oil daily I would often wake up in the middle of the night and take a long time to go back to sleep. I never associated the two things until I read in The Mood Cure that for some people, this is a side effect of fish oil. I stopped taking it and the problem stopped. I really liked taking fish oil because it increased my ability to concentrate, but I guess that increased alertness made it more difficult to sleep.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Part of the answer may be that some fish oils are "Better" than other fish oils. Here is what I just discovered:

Due to their chemical composition, Ethyl Ester (EE) fish oils will actually eat straight through a polystyrene cup. This effect will become evident after just a few minutes, however significant leakage is seen after 10 minutes. Natural Triglyceride (TG) fish oils placed in the same cup will not show leakage after 10 minutes. Natural TG fish oils may show leakage through the cup in very small amounts after 2-3 hours.
    http://www.ascentahealth.com/health-...ature-intended

Video proves this to be true:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/donoharm08

So bottom line, the better fish oils do not dissolve a Styrofoam cup.

Best of health to all,
    Grizz