Thread: Raisins and sugar-free chewing gum page

San-San is offline Member

Question Raisins and sugar-free chewing gum

Primal Fuel
    Hi there.

May PB covers these, but I get the book on Tuesday so here are my questions.

Raisins good or bad, since they are high in sugar?

Sugar free chewing gum, okay or not? I need it to relieve my stress or I start pressing my teeth, which brings on not only headaches but is also bad for my teeth.

Thanks friends.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    San-San:

Dried fruit of any kind can be pretty dangerous, as it is VERY high in sugars. Especially when you're starting out, it can derail your efforts to make the switch over to fat-burning mode. Later on, you can throw a little bit of dried fruit in a salad or something, and it won't hurt
    Personally, I can't have that sort of thing in the house with me, since I haven't learned how to control myself with it.

Sugar-free gum is something which most here would frown on. Artifical sweeteners are not good for you in the first place; and there's evidence that having a sweet taste in your mouth, even if it's not really sugar, can raise your insulin level (maybe in anticipation of sugar intake?). That being said, I now what you're saying about stress levels; I have been known to chew it on occasion. Eventually, it would be a good thing to find other ways to lower your stress, like getting enough sleep and exercising properly...I'm still working on that part, myself.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I chew sugar free gum and have been very successful on PB. For whatever reason, it doesn't trigger sugar cravings for me.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a big fan of raisins, but hand me some craisins or dried cherries and BOWZA! So good! They're like Primal candy. Think of them that way.

Yeah, not a fan of the gum. I miss gum, but even Trident makes my guts hurt now. Sorbitol problem perhaps? I saw some canisters of gum in the organic section of my grocery store, but I'm not really willing to hand over ten bucks to find out if it's any good. Once in a great while I'll chew something minty, but really most of the time I find the flavor to be overbearing.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    PLEASE, someone tell me how to quit the Nicorette...?! I've NEVER smoked a (legal) ciggie in my LIFE, but I'm addicted to it. I have cut down from the 4mg to the 2. It helps me get through IFs, too (I'm not IFing for too long these days - max 16 hours). It just helps mellow me out a bit.

Yep, I realise how fucked up that sounds...
    La tristesse durera toujours...