Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contradiction on what to eat the most of: fat or veggies/fruits page

gosurf is offline Junior Member

Contradiction on what to eat the most of: fat or veggies/fruits

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I read one of the articles that says you need to get the majority of your calories from FATS because carbs from veggies just "aren't enough" and protein is not an energy souce - protein is mostly a repair source. Hence, we need to get the majority of calories from fat.

Okay, so then I look at the food pyramid and at the bottom of the food pyramid is veggies/fruits. Huh? Shouldn't the bottom be fats? So which are we supposed to be eating more of, veggies/fruits and fats?
    Also, I thought fruits were supposed to be strictly limited, if eaten at all. Why are they at the bottom of the pyramid?

What percentage of fats/protein/veggies is your daily diet?

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    Bulk-wise, you will be eating more vegetables, calorie-wise more fat. A cup of butter =/= a cup of brocolli. Calorie intake should be around 60/20/20, but your individual diet may vary.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    veggies are the basis for my diet--lots of salad. and they should be for any PBer out there (except maybe some who are trying to keep their carbs really low). the reason we add fat is because there are more calories per gram so that we are not starving ourselves and have the energy we need to go about our days or wrestle a bear to the ground.
    fat also keeps you full, so that you are less likely to snack on crap.
    the reason fat isn't at the bottom of the pyramid is so because it is so calorie dense that if we ate more visible amounts of fat than anything else, we would be going way over on calorie consumption. my diet is 60-70% fat, but i'm still eating way more vegetables than i am meat or eggs or dairy.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    9 ounces (big bag) of spinach = 59 calories.
    1 ounce of butter (large pat) = 202 calories.
    Add them together in a pan, and you have what looks like a ton of yummy spinach, but is about 80% fat by calories.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I tend to follow a perfect health diet like food pattern. More veggies by weight, more fat/meat by calories. And do what works for you.
    n=1 n=1 n=1 n=1 and repeat

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    gosurf - you know that the food pyramid IS the stereotypically perfect Standard American Diet, right?

Primal (or Paleo) ways of eating have zero to do with SAD.

You need to stop referencing the SAD diet rules once you start your new WOE.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    gosurf - you know that the food pyramid IS the stereotypically perfect Standard American Diet, right?

Yes but the pyramid that's being discussed is the PB pyramid which is in the book. Fruit and veg are at the bottom on that.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    It's not a contradiction. Rather, there are two different types of measurement at play:

Produce will represent the greatest bulk, or volume, of your meals.

Fats will represent the greatest percentage of your caloric intake.

I typically consume 60-70% fat, 20% protein, and 10-20% carb (by calorie, not volume).
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

gosurf is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post

sayrahhh, I wasn't referring to the U.S. food pyramid but the food pyramid that Mark put on his website.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Oopsie! haha- got it. I see "food pyramid" and I automatically think SAD- sorry.

I did read the PB. Just once, then I lent it out, never to be seen again apparently.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast