Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eggs and cancer page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

eggs and cancer

Shop Now
    Hello, I have discovered the primal blueprint concept as a very appropriate style for me as I can easily reduce grains from my diet without feeling deprived. I am also happy that a liberate consumation of eggs is "allowed" but I cannot get free of some concerns: I have found so many articles on the internet thet have found a link between eggs and breast cancer (one even mentioning a particular substance that might be cancerous) - just google "eggs and breast cancer"). Does anyone know if this research is flawed and in what ways? I still fell uneasy if I consume more than two eggs a week...
    Thank you so much!

Lizzie125 is offline Member
    I don't know where you found this info, as I had never heard in anywhere and I read as much as I can on this stuff. So I googled it and the first three hits on google suggested that eating eggs PREVENTS breast cancer. Now I have not gone very deep, but a cursory search suggests a possible misunderstanding on your part here.

Eggs are almost a perfect food and are great for your body on so many levels two a week aren't enough. Some studies have shown a relationship to earlier deaths and more than six eggs a week for men, but not enough evidence to show a causal relationship and these sorts of studies, observational and based on diaries and individual record keeping are v. unreliable.

Just be sure you don't eat any that have been tainted by hormones (I don't think even conventional eggs are, but I might be wrong). HORMONES in milk, meat and so forth are a leading cause of cancers associated with reproductive and related hormones.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Long-chain omega 6 fats will create a statistical correlation with cancers in a DHA-deficient population, and eggs are a huge source of it. Also conventional eggs are shit and have no nutrients, so it's basically just cheap low-quality inflammation. Eat free range or omega 3 eggs and eat fish/brains or take fish oil with ample saturated fat to avoid inflammation. Also avoid short-chain omega 6 linoleic acid as best you can - it causes DHA deficiency.

All of this hormone this and toxin that stuff is only a hypothesis. It is probably better to get organic stuff but I have provided a mechanism for why eggs could possibly be a bad thing in some contexts, and also a solution to make them benign, so unless there is actual evidence that it is anything but long-chain omega 6 in the context of a DHA deficiency then that is what it should be taken to be. Same goes for meats, by the way.

http://omega-6-omega-3-balance.omega...mega6-fat.aspx
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I can't find a single article on Google that says eggs correlate with anything but a REDUCED risk of breast cancer. There are plenty of articles suggesting MEAT is an issue, so if you're going to be concerned, I'd focus your worry there rather than at eggs.

One article even suggested that choline intake in pregnancy reduced the breast cancer risk in the baby later in life. Choline is a component of egg yolks.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Lizzie125 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I can't find a single article on Google that says eggs correlate with anything but a REDUCED risk of breast cancer. There are plenty of articles suggesting MEAT is an issue, so if you're going to be concerned, I'd focus your worry there rather than at eggs.

One article even suggested that choline intake in pregnancy reduced the breast cancer risk in the baby later in life. Choline is a component of egg yolks.
    That was my experience.

As an aside, I do know that studies have shown that women who drink a lot of conventional milk are more likely to have twins. That suggests some kind of hormonal influence I would think. Anything estrogenic, from BPA to too much soy is a problem for secondary sex characteristics, which means breasts, for both men and women.

So much of how we choose to eat is speculative and based on studies that are right today, wrong tomorrow. Primal itself is a bit off the reservation this way. So overdependence on studies themselves can become a problem. I just research everything I can and try to do what makes sense based on how I feel.

I think eating eggs is far less dangerous than most foods out there.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Ditch the "allowed" and "forbidden" mentality, and read some of the MDA posts about how to properly nourish your body. Enjoy life!

I'm allergic to eggs, so it's a non-issue for me. I do have chickens though, and Mother Earth News did some research on the nutritional makeup of pastured eggs vs. conventionally raised.

Pastured chickens, those allowed to forage on grass, are healthier and lay nutritionally superior eggs. Great omega ratios, higher vitamin and antioxidant content. You could take a note from the chickens, whether or not you eat their eggs: when you live in an optimal environment, eating appropriate foods, things turn out better in general.

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for your responses! I was wrong about the type of cancer, studies seem to refer to an increased risk of bladder/colorectal cancer: http://www.cancerproject.prg/ask/eggs.php
    Your arguments concerning conventionally produced eggs are convincing, though, I am buying organic ones anyway!
    Thank you again!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Given that eggs appear to protect against a cancer three times more common and almost three times more deadly than bladder cancer, I think I'll keep eating them.

NEVER MIND....forgot you mentioned colorectal too....that's actually a bigger killer overall than breast cancer, though not for women. Bladder/colorectal vs Breast Cancer? Correlation with one, reverse correlation with the other? Not scared yet.

I pick and choose medical screening tests very carefully....colonoscopy is one I will start doing at age 50....regardless of egg consumption.
    Last edited by lizch; 10-24-2010 at 07:02 AM.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I think colonscopy is dangerous. It washes out the flora, which have to be reintroduced, and it can be physically hazardous.

If you want the arguments about it, visit gutsense.org or Google "Fiber Menace."

I've heard bad things about "omega 3" eggs, too. They oxidize too easily. The omega 3 in eggs from hens allowed to forage at will is much less problematic than in those fed flaxseed, IMO.

There are so many ways to go wrong by trying too hard, IMO. If the researchers would only check the cancer rates from eating sugar and soy food versus those from eating eggs, we'd see less of this nonsense trying to keep people from eating wholesome traditional foods.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    I think colonscopy is dangerous. It washes out the flora, which have to be reintroduced, and it can be physically hazardous.
    i have the impression of the very same thing. Esp the physically hazardous part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast