Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eggs and cancer page 2

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How about with a family history of colon cancer?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Lizzie125 is offline Member
    Are eggs high in folate, folic acid? I have no idea, actually...BUT I have read that added folic acid/folate in cereals and other foods has been associated with a rise in colorectal cancer. Since the 90s, colon cancer has gone up and it aligns with the addition of folate to all kinds of products. As most of these foods are grain based, primals needn't worry so much, I guess.

Also, flax based omegas are bad for the prostate. Theoretically, eggs with Omegas derived from flax fed to chickens could be a problem there.

This is all based on nutritional articles I have read over the years, but I don't have the time to look them up just now.

Lizzie125 is offline Member
    I also read that half an aspirin is supposed to help prevent colon cancer--I think it was on msnbc.com (health) just this weekend.

If you have it in the family, avoid added folic acid/folate for sure. It is really mostly good for fetal development. If one is preggers, take it otherwise stay away and men definitely don't need it as they aren't having babies anyway.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Lizch -- a family history of course would make you anxious.

I still doubt that a colonoscopy would be a way I would go. I would do a whole lot of reading about how cancer works, and colon cancer in particular, and also see if there is any genetic testing for any particular markers for it. Also I would consider whether the family members who got it had a lifestyle and diet like mine, or very different.

A book I like, called Mastering Leptin, by Byron Richards talks a lot about the various messaging, enzymes, hormones, and so forth which are expressed in cancer and other conditions. That might be a place to start.

rickryne is offline Junior Member
    Well,The cancer is have lots of causes and reason.Eggs is increase the risk of prostate cancer.There are lots of risk of prostate cancer causes by the eggs.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie125 View Post
    I also read that half an aspirin is supposed to help prevent colon cancer--I think it was on msnbc.com (health) just this weekend.
    If you read it on msnbc.com, that probably means that half an aspirin actually causes colon cancer, since the media can't seem to get anything right when it comes to helping to teach us how to be *really* healthy. I hear of such findings with extreme skepticism. IMO, a species-appropriate diet will do far more to protect you from all types of cancer than any pharmaceutical will ever do.

That's not to say that eating the proper diet means you will never get cancer; it just means that I think diet is ultimately more protective than any pill could ever be.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    If you read it on msnbc.com, that probably means that half an aspirin actually causes colon cancer, since the media can't seem to get anything right when it comes to helping to teach us how to be *really* healthy. I hear of such findings with extreme skepticism. IMO, a species-appropriate diet will do far more to protect you from all types of cancer than any pharmaceutical will ever do.

That's not to say that eating the proper diet means you will never get cancer; it just means that I think diet is ultimately more protective than any pill could ever be.
    Agreed. So far, I've stayed off of gluten, for the most part. Since that time, I stopped needing to take in antihistamines to control my dermatitis. I was willing to sacrifice myself once week, to gluten, via communion. But, I just found it only allowing it to recur, here and there.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    How about with a family history of colon cancer?
    Go 2 generations deep in any society that has begun eating crap instead of food and bam! Now you have family history for all kinds of scary stuff. Forget that 6 generations earlier there were none of these scary issues. I'm not a big believer in picking and choosing tests or treatments based on family history.

However, this site does offer some good information about various colorectal tests...frequencies...and accuracies in detection http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...g-colonoscopy/
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-27-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12