Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four more weeks - cheers for PB page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Four more weeks - cheers for PB

Primal Fuel
    I am now 7 weeks into PB. I had another infusion today (iv meds for RA that i get every 4 weeks) and as part of that I get weighed. I was pretty happy to have lost another 6 lbs. Again - not the blazing weight loss that some people see - but I am only 5'3'' and that is 13 lbs for me in 7 weeks. Although weight loss is not my main goal here - I sure like it as a side effect

I was also happy to see my resting heart rate, which has been in the mid to upper nineties for years, was 70 today. I think that must be a reflection of not consuming things that are poisonous for my body.

I am still lacking in energy - but better than before PB. I have decreased my steroids to the lowest in years . My joint pain is greatly improved - although still not perfect.

Anyway - thanks to everyone for the help and support. I can hardly wait to see what things look like in four more weeks!
    Last edited by jammies; 10-22-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Very cool! Congrats! Every little bit counts.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Hooray! I'm glad it's all helping! Keep it up!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Yay Jammies! Are you still nightshade/dairy etc free? I'm interested to hear how that has worked for you (and if you added them back in, if you felt any differently.)

Thanks for the congrats everyone! The nice part about this weight loss it it has clearly been all fat loss - and mostly abdominal fat. Even when I have been pretty thin in my life, I always had a bigger belly, which I hated, so it is really nice to see my tummy getting flatter.

Yes, FairyRae, I am still mostly following the low lectin version of PB which means no eggs, no nightshades, and no dairy. It should be no nuts as well, but I just haven't been able to give them up yet. They are my primal "fast food". My other problem comes in with dairy. I still put a little cream in my decaf coffee twice a week and may occassionally have parmesan or some milk chocolate. I still have room for improvements, so I really should go strictly no lectin for a month. I am worried, though, if I go too strict, I may start falling off the wagon.

I know for sure that nightshades including potatoes cause joint swelling for me, especially in my knees, in about 24 hours, to the point where I either have to limit my activites, walk with a significant limp, or take more prednisone. That makes it pretty easy to avoid eating them

Have you given low lectin a try? Am I remembering correctly that you have autoimmune thryroid disease?

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I am now 7 weeks into PB. I had another infusion today (iv meds for RA that i get every 4 weeks) and as part of that I get weighed. I was pretty happy to have lost another 6 lbs. Again - not the blazing weight loss that some people see - but I am only 5'3'' and that is 13 lbs for me in 7 weeks. Although weight loss is not my main goal here - I sure like it as a side effect

I was also happy to see my resting heart rate, which has been in the mid to upper nineties for years, was 70 today. I think that must be a reflection of not consuming things that are poisonous for my body.

I am still lacking in energy - but better than before PB. I have decreased my steroids to the lowest in years . My joint pain is greatly improved - although still not perfect.

Anyway - thanks to everyone for the help and support. I can hardly wait to see what things look like in four more weeks!
    Totally understand the pulse thing. My resting pulse is around 44-50 (probably due to Hashi's). But when I eat wheat, holy Batman, watch out. It spikes to 90-110 and I get awful palpitations for about 30 minutes and then slowly goes back down. So, although your pulse decrease might be due to weight loss (less peripheral resistance), it could also be due to food sensitivities as you mentioned.

I am so happy for you!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You're doing great, jammies! I am so happy to see that you are off the inflammatory food.

Ugh, I have a good friend whose husband will soon be completely disabled (and disability income is, what, $1000 a month?) due to his RA and he WILL NOT even consider thinking about stopping the gallon of milk he drinks per day. He does not even drink water, ever; only chugging the milk. Except he can barely get the lid off the milk to drink it, because of his RA. I don't know how my friend can stand it. As far as I'm concerned, those are grounds for divorce. Thank God I am not married to him. /soapbox

I am glad you are taking proper care of yourself.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Have you given low lectin a try? Am I remembering correctly that you have autoimmune thryroid disease?
    Not me, but I do have mild joint pain at times and arthritis in my family (and I take after the members who have/had it.)

WOW! I'm so amazed at your nightshade free results--very inspiring to try going nightshade free at some point....... (I'm dairy free, but nightshades--yikes! So hard to even think of giving them up. Do you avoid all forms, like the minimal amount in mustard, seasonings containing peppers, etc.?? Do those seem to make a difference for you--trace amounts of nightshades?)

So glad to hear you are doing so well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Not me, but I do have mild joint pain at times and arthritis in my family (and I take after the members who have/had it.)

WOW! I'm so amazed at your nightshade free results--very inspiring to try going nightshade free at some point....... (I'm dairy free, but nightshades--yikes! So hard to even think of giving them up. Do you avoid all forms, like the minimal amount in mustard, seasonings containing peppers, etc.?? Do those seem to make a difference for you--trace amounts of nightshades?)

So glad to hear you are doing so well!!!
    FairyRae - you are a genius . While overall I am still greatly improved, I have been perplexed because the last 5-6 days I have been a little more stiff and swollen overall and my right pinky finger was really starting to flare. I was beginning to worry that things were going downhill. I started eating dijon mustard about a week ago! I did NOT know mustard had paprika in it. Mine says "spices", and I just read that likely means paprika. Apparently trader joes has some without, so I'll stop there tomorrow.

So, to answer your question - yes, for me it seem that even small amounts of nightshades are problematic. I avoid anything that says "spices" (not sure how the mustard fell through the cracks). It is a big commitment, and pretty much takes all convenience foods out of the running. But if your joint pains continue, I would encourage you to try it. I had mild/moderate joint pain and fatigue for years and could not find a way to fix it. Then one day I woke up with every joint in my body swollen and on fire - it was months of excruciating pain and high dose steroids before I could even function minimally. It is now four years later and I am just returning to normal. If I could go back and start this WOE, I probably could have prevented all of this.

Good luck and thanks again for all your support

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    Totally understand the pulse thing. My resting pulse is around 44-50 (probably due to Hashi's). But when I eat wheat, holy Batman, watch out. It spikes to 90-110 and I get awful palpitations for about 30 minutes and then slowly goes back down. So, although your pulse decrease might be due to weight loss (less peripheral resistance), it could also be due to food sensitivities as you mentioned.

I am so happy for you!
    Hi Shannon-

That is one low heart rate you have!!! Interesting to hear that about your heart rate going up with wheat. I've had the high heart rate issue for years - even when I was very thin and fit (although I felt insanely terrible at that time - ultra low fat, high carb, TONS of cardio - because my doctor told me if I lost weight my energy would come back...WRONG...nearly killed me). This is the first time it has come down - I'd love to see it get lower. I hope as my diet gets cleaner, my energy will increase, and my heart rate will be in the 60's.

Take care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast