Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with sugar during menstruation. page

Help with sugar during menstruation.

Primal Fuel
    Ladies (& Gents):

I would like to ask a couple question on behalf of my wife as she is interested in my transition to primal.

My wife craves sugar during menstruation. As she said tonight, she just really wants to eat something sweet.

Question 1: Do any of you also deal with this?
    Question 2: What could I tell my wife that would help her deal with this?

I should note that my wife has loved sugar pretty much her entire life (she's just under 30). There are times when she doesn't have the urge; however, that pretty much gets eradicated once she starts her cycle (or the time generally around it).

Thanks for your help.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i killed a menstrual induced craving with a block of cream cheese softened in the microwave, 6 packets of truvia and a spoon of pumpkin pie spice mixed together. it was really good, really sweet and it calmed my hormonal sweet tooth down

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I'm with her on this one! Absolutely the hardest time for me to stick with primal stuff is the few days before my period starts and the first 2 days of my period. I have SUPER junk food cravings (and frequently end up giving in, DOH!). So I'm curious to hear what anyone else might have to say too.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    I'm with her on this one! Absolutely the hardest time for me to stick with primal stuff is the few days before my period starts and the first 2 days of my period. I have SUPER junk food cravings (and frequently end up giving in, DOH!). So I'm curious to hear what anyone else might have to say too.
    VERY dark choc does it for me (and I MEAN dark, DARK - as in 90%+) Failing that, a good dollop or two of Fage/cream cheese mixed with 2 heaped teaspoons of cacao powder, plenty of cinnamon (what's in 'pumpkin pie spice' by the way...? As we don't do Thanksgiving over here, obviously, we don't tend to be in the habit of making pumpkins into anything sweet - they're usually 'souped') I'm kinda imagining it to be what we'd call 'mixed spice' (a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger) - would I be correct in that assumption...?) and some flavoured liquid stevia (orange for preference - dark choc orange - MMMMM!!!!)

Actually, for anyone who feels guilty about choccie indulgences round TOTM, we're actually 'programmed' to crave it - superior dark choc (the only kind we should be eating!) has a very high iron content, and we're obviously losing blood - and, if I had a choice between a steak & spinach and dark choc when I'm on, I know which I'd go for!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Violet on this one. Dark chocolate is the only thing works fo me. I keep coco almonds on hand just for that time of month.

sunshine* is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    I'm with Violet on this one. Dark chocolate is the only thing works fo me. I keep coco almonds on hand just for that time of month.
    i feel her pain! I struggle with sugar cravings for 2 weeks of the month. My magic bullet i have just recently discovered is a little primal treat that at least knocks the head off the cravings.....I get about a tablespoon of soft butter and mix it with approx 1 tsp of pure cocoa powder and 1-2 tblspns of dessicated coconut. I also add a few pinches of xylitol. I find that if i increase my fat intake it also helps with the cravings, so the butter helps with that!!

She will so much better in the long run if she doesn't give into the sugar. I am a sugar addict and i am finding this to be true.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    agreed. your wife is anticipating a very real struggle with the grokesses. i like to have super good quality dark chocolate in hand for this reason. i know that i can have 1/3 bar as a serving size. i savor it, it hits the spot, i go for a 30 minute after dinner walk to avoid eating the whole bar, and i'm good. do over-do it sometimes? oh yeah. BUT it is important to me to have something super simple on hand, otherwise i'm mixing up all kinds of sweet concoctions at seven in the evening, having issues with portion control.
    a little dark chocolate does wonders.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Does she like coconut? I find that coconut cream concentrate (from Tropical Traditions), eaten by the spoonful, is better than candy. It's good on dark chocolate or banana slices, too.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

San-San is offline Member
    I have the same problem as your wife. What I just read (I'm no Doctor!) is that this is because we need Serotonin. This is why dark chocolate works, it has serotonin.

Somehow we use up all the tryptophan amino acid, which is normally used to make the serotonin, for the hormonal change during those days before and during menstruation. So the Serotonin is low and we crave sweets.

So what we need to do is get our tryptophan-intake up, which is quite hard since tryptophan is always in low amounts in proteines. You can buy tryptophan supplements which are not exactly cheap. But since it's an essential amino acid and quite an important one, it might be worth a try. I might do so eventually, but not now. However with the increased protein intake from the Paleo eating it might take care of itself. I want to see if primal works its own magic here.

Cheers

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Been there, done that. I make sure I get my fats, and almond butter is my drug of choice. It`s got some carbs in it so it helps take the edge off the cravings. I`ll have a few generous spoons of that and on the rare occasion the craving fails to dissipate, I have some fruit, dark chocolate or bake a small yield of something primal-ish. The longer I`m primal, the weaker the cravings. Now when it`s `that time of the month`I just feel hungrier, not "give me a tub of ice cream or I'll rip your head off."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast