Thread: Vitamin D supplementation page

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D supplementation

Shop Now
    Just curious if this recommended.

I take a daily multivitamin, but have been thinking about picking up a vitamin D supplement as winter is right around the corner. Any recommended brands?

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    We used to take the gel caps from Now Foods. 5000 iu is pretty cheap. Now we're trying Nature's Answer liquid drops. Got them from iherb and they only have the vitamin and olive oil in it. I'd definitely recommend supplementation with how far north you are. I doubt your multi has anywhere near the D you'd need. I believe Vitamin D council recommends 1000 iu per 25 lbs of body weight per day. www.directlabs.com has a sale this month for the vitamin D test at $39 if you want to check your levels.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Adventure,

You might want to check with Cillakat--- she is the reigning expert on Vit D.
    But the 1,000 IU/ lb of body weight is a good place to start. She recommends periodic testing for levels.
    Last edited by kuno1chi; 10-22-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Yeah, I figured she would eventually weigh in on this discussion. Also....really 1,000 IU per lb body weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure8410 View Post
    Yeah, I figured she would eventually weigh in on this discussion. Also....really 1,000 IU per lb body weight?
    Oops. My bad. 1,000 IU per 25 pounds body weight.
    Sheesh

Phewwwww I was gonna say....haha

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure8410 View Post
    Just curious if this recommended.

I take a daily multivitamin, but have been thinking about picking up a vitamin D supplement as winter is right around the corner. Any recommended brands?
    Not only is it recommended, my friend, it's absolutely 110% ESSENTIAL!! There is a whole thread (started by our very own supplementation expert, CillaKat, on the whys and wherefores of vit D3 (and, yes, it's D3 you want, not D2; the former is natural, the latter synthetic). Kat also has a link in her sig to a very good document she's written on the subject. Seek out her posts and read it. She knows all!

I would also say that supplementation is essential all year round. I'm certainly not going to stop taking it when Spring arrives!

Vitamin D is VITAL!! That's why Mark has it as one of the 3 Primal Essentials in his store (the others being Omega 3 and a probiotic).
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Yeah
    Just ignore everything I have to say, for the next 24 hours.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I've been taking 10k units a day now for probably two years. I go to a Endocronologist twice a year for blood work and now have her checking my vitamin D level. It made a world of difference for me, during the winter especially. Had terrible depression in the winter (mid-west) prior to using it.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I take Vitamin D3 in the Fall and Winter months but do NOT during the spring/summer since I get plenty of sunshine. I live in Grand Rapids, MI where its FREEZING for about 5 months - boo.

I personally receive Mark's 3 supplements on autoship which includes Vitamin D, Probiotic and Fish Oil. Check out Carlson's brand on Amazon for these same supplements - I used to drink there fish oil and still have some Vitamin D3 left from them - great price on Amazon.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!