Thread: This morning my Polar told me that...(and a question) page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Talking This morning my Polar told me that...(and a question)

Shop Now
    I was no longer 'fairly fit', I am now 'adequately' fit! One more Fitness OwnIndex point and I'll be in the 'good' zone - I've only had the thing a week!

This is good. Sarah likes this.

And, I know it doesn't mean anything (because I know we're not supposed to judge how many cals we burn) but I've gone from burning 3.25 cals/min last week to 5.5kcals/min this. Though, disappointingly, only my fitness is improving this week, not my fat burning (though this does beg the question, if I'm not burning fat, what am I burning? I'm never coming out of Zone 2 (except when I sprint). Zone 2 is between 60 and 75% max HR, which I thought was the 'golden' FBZ? The most it's ever told me I've burnt, fat-wise, is 42% - so what was it burning the other 58% of the time...?)

It's a Polar FT60, if anyone knows anything about 'em...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Well done Sarah. Try and focus on the general pattern and flow of the numbers, not each and every one; ebbs and peaks

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    so what was it burning the other 58% of the time...?)
    You're burning glycogen (stored sugar), which is your body's primary energy supply. You're probably also burning a bit of protein. Regardless of intensity, your body is almost always using a combination of fuel sources.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Well done Sarah. Try and focus on the general pattern and flow of the numbers, not each and every one; ebbs and peaks
    I concur.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

runnerbean is offline Member
    Hi Sarah,
    The Polar %fat burning is just an estimate based on the %hr that you are training at. To figure out how much fat YOU are actually burning at various intensities requires a much more complicated test. If you're able to work harder and burn more calories at the same effort, you're definitely burning more fat too. Eating a lower carb diet will also generally cause a higher %fat utilization. So I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you are doing an awesome job getting fitter