Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free T4, T3, and thyroid antibodies results. page

Katie82 is offline Senior Member

Free T4, T3, and thyroid antibodies results.

Shop Now
    I just got these results over the phone. The nurse I spoke to said everything was "normal". Yay, so why do I still feel like crap?

Free T3 -2.9 Ref Range 2.3-4.2
    Free T4 -1.2 Ref Range .8-1.8
    Thyroglobulin antibodies-no value, just <20 which is normal
    TSH receptor antibodies-no value, <6.0, again normal

CRP-.64, <.80 normal

Are these numbers really okay?. They look fine, I really thought something would come back out of range. Now I don't know where to go from here. I have another appt on monday with another doctor.
    Just wanted some opinions from the experts here at MDA if this is really "normal", not just within range. Thoughts?
    Oh yeah, My TSH when measured on the 1st was 2.4. I have a lot of low thyroid symptoms, the worst being chronic fatigue, and "brain fog". Maybe there's something else causing me to be so tired.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Personally, for me... TSH over 1 ish or 1.5 and I have thyroid symptoms.

Your Free T3 is at the very bottom of the range.. most peeps don't feel right until they're in the upper 1/3 of the range.

I would suggest going over to about.com and/or stop the thyroid madness and look over test results and other items. The fact is there are so many things that can be going on with your thyroid that it can take a while to wade through it all.

I'm sure one of the other girls will have more helpful info!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    They may be normal, all right, but normal and optimal are two different things.

Free T3 you typically want at or above the top end fo the range-the range, once upon a time, went up to 6.2. Ranges are statistically derived, they have no basis in optimal functionality.

Free T4 you typically want in the upper third. 1.8-.8 = 1.00, /3 = .33, *2 = .66, +.8, = 1.46 beginning of upper third.

Take your basal temp, first thing in the AM, before you get up to pee/have sex/let the dog out; If its before 97.7, your thyroid's not up to snuff.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    I just got these results over the phone. The nurse I spoke to said everything was "normal". Yay, so why do I still feel like crap?

Free T3 -2.9 Ref Range 2.3-4.2
    Free T4 -1.2 Ref Range .8-1.8
    Thyroglobulin antibodies-no value, just <20 which is normal
    TSH receptor antibodies-no value, <6.0, again normal

CRP-.64, <.80 normal

Are these numbers really okay?. They look fine, I really thought something would come back out of range. Now I don't know where to go from here. I have another appt on monday with another doctor.
    Just wanted some opinions from the experts here at MDA if this is really "normal", not just within range. Thoughts?
    Oh yeah, My TSH when measured on the 1st was 2.4. I have a lot of low thyroid symptoms, the worst being chronic fatigue, and "brain fog". Maybe there's something else causing me to be so tired.
    stats....

whats your height, weight and sample daily menu....

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Your FT4 is at 40% of it's range. FT3 is at 32%. Since these numbers are close, it appears you convert. You can help conversion by eating at least 50 grams of carbs/day and getting 200mcg selenium/day.

Some people feel fine with your numbers. Other people need to be at or above midrange. Midrange for your lab's FT4 is 1.3. For FT3, 3.25.

How does your vitamin D level look? Hematocrit, hemoglobin, ferritin, fasting blood sugar, HbA1c? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating any goitrogenic foods? Is there any possibility that your sex hormones are low? Having issues with any of these things can cause fatigue and/or brain fog.

Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    They may be normal, all right, but normal and optimal are two different things.

Free T3 you typically want at or above the top end fo the range-the range, once upon a time, went up to 6.2. Ranges are statistically derived, they have no basis in optimal functionality.

Free T4 you typically want in the upper third. 1.8-.8 = 1.00, /3 = .33, *2 = .66, +.8, = 1.46 beginning of upper third.

Take your basal temp, first thing in the AM, before you get up to pee/have sex/let the dog out; If its before 97.7, your thyroid's not up to snuff.
    So my TSH I would assume is a little high (based on what's optimal, not the ref ranges) and my FT3 and FT4 are a bit low. Maybe I can get my doc to give me a trial of synthroid at a low dose. If I'm converting T4 properly then just taking T4 would help, right? And I know my temperature has always run low, all day, all the time. 97.8 is my norm but I will buy a mercury thermometer tonight and take 3 days of morning temps to bring to my appointment monday. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    stats....

whats your height, weight and sample daily menu....
    I think my weight and height is irrelevant really. All of this started after my twin pregnancy 2.5 years ago. I know I had mild hormonal imbalances before then but the pregnancy threw all of my hormones way off course and nothing has been quite right ever since. I weigh the same now as I did pre pregnancy but feel 10x worse.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Your FT4 is at 40% of it's range. FT3 is at 32%. Since these numbers are close, it appears you convert. You can help conversion by eating at least 50 grams of carbs/day and getting 200mcg selenium/day.

Some people feel fine with your numbers. Other people need to be at or above midrange. Midrange for your lab's FT4 is 1.3. For FT3, 3.25.

How does your vitamin D level look? Hematocrit, hemoglobin, ferritin, fasting blood sugar, HbA1c? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating any goitrogenic foods? Is there any possibility that your sex hormones are low? Having issues with any of these things can cause fatigue and/or brain fog.
    Thanks for doing the percentages, now it makes sense to me. I didn't know how to tell if I was converting correctly. My vitamin D is low at 21. I'm working on that. I am slightly iron deficient anemic but I'm taking iron now for that as well. A1c I think was 5.6
    I don't know about my sex hormones (not sure which ones those would be). I know I've had irregular periods for 10 years ever since starting to eat meat again after being a veg for 7 years (weird, huh?). Anyway, during my pregnancy I had PCOS symptoms (hair growth, acne). My doctor said there were cysts on my ovaries also but they all went away a few months after delivery. Since then I've had irregular periods, heavy bleeding, most of the hair has gone away though and no more acne. My periods have become more normal since starting primal as well so I think the PCOS is getting better though not gone. Nobody ever measured my hormones. My doctor just told me I had PCOS and I believed her becasue my symptoms matched.
    Most goitrogenic foods I eat are cooked and I try not to eat too much of those.
    And I sleep fairly well. 7-9 hrs a night (still tired in the morning) and a nap during the day most days (still tired) I'm not sleeping too much because if I sleep less than this I feel worse.

I know the best thing I can do to rebalance hormones is to eat primal, low carb but not too low carb. Just keep regular, even blood sugars, reduce stress, and get enough rest but I'm doing that. I've been doing that and I just feel like I may need some help from thyroid hormones to help me lose weight which will help me regain energy. It's just a cycle that I'm having troube breaking out of with diet alone. I don't have the energy to exercise...at all. Though I still do walk a few times a week I feel like i am dragging myself around. Now I just need to get my doctor to agree that I need this and hope that it helps.

Katie,
    Having an average temperature of 97.8 would be considered normal. 98.6 is an average of normal body temps.

You say you had mild hormonal imbalances prior to your twin pregnancy. What actual hormones were out of whack-thyroid, sex (testosterone, estradiol, progesterone, FSH)? Was this imbalance because your hormones were high or low?How do you know that your pregnancy threw your hormones off course--tests, or feelings, symptoms?

I'm not sure thyroid hormone supplementation is the route to take, at this time, given your other issues-- anemia, low vitamin D, PCOS, etc. Getting vitamin D and iron levels optimized has been shown to improve thyroid function.

Being on meds for thyroid does not mean you will lose weight easier, be less fatigued, etc. I actually gained most of my weight after being diagnosed hypo.

MalPaz has a point. If you are not eating enough and/or not enough carbs you can develop ESS-euthyroid sick syndrome, also known as NTIS-non-thyroidal illness syndrome:
    http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter5/chapter_5b.htm
    Last edited by marcadav; 10-22-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add additional comment

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    I think my weight and height is irrelevant really. All of this started after my twin pregnancy 2.5 years ago. I know I had mild hormonal imbalances before then but the pregnancy threw all of my hormones way off course and nothing has been quite right ever since. I weigh the same now as I did pre pregnancy but feel 10x worse. .
    not irrelevant which is why i asked and why i do also see you cant answer which leads me to believe youre self diagnosing yourself as having problems which should be fixed nutritionally, not with pills

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Katie,
    Having an average temperature of 97.8 would be considered normal. 98.6 is an average of normal body temps.

You say you had mild hormonal imbalances prior to your twin pregnancy. What actual hormones were out of whack-thyroid, sex (testosterone, estradiol, progesterone, FSH)? Was this imbalance because your hormones were high or low?How do you know that your pregnancy threw your hormones off course--tests, or feelings, symptoms?

I'm not sure thyroid hormone supplementation is the route to take, at this time, given your other issues-- anemia, low vitamin D, PCOS, etc. Getting vitamin D and iron levels optimized has been shown to improve thyroid function.

Being on meds for thyroid does not mean you will lose weight easier, be less fatigued, etc. I actually gained most of my weight after being diagnosed hypo.
    I don't really know. I am just assuming based on symptoms before my pregnancy. Like my previously blonde, straight hair started getting darker, coarser and frizzy in my early twenties. My irregular periods, weight gain around my stomach that I had increasing difficulty getting rid of despite diet and exercise. Also I started gettting hypoglycemia so I had blood sugar problems. My triglycerides and cholesterol were also high. When I went to the doctor for all these things he measured my cholesterol, did a CBC and said I'm fine but eat less fat because of the high cholesterol :/. I had no clue. Only looking back can I see how these things were all connected to hormones going off balance.
    During my pregnancy I was diagnosed with PCOS but my doctor only told me what symptoms it causes, not about the links to diabetes, low thyroid or insulin resistnace. Nothing, never mentioned how to prevent it from getting worse. I also had gestational diabetes but it was easy to control with diet.
    After my pregnancy I actually think I went into a state of hyperthyroid. I was constantly wired, eating constantly and losing weight faster than ever. I lost all preg weight plus 25 lbs in 2 months. Unfortunately that didn't last and I gained it all back plus 35 over the next year despite NO changes in diet. I was too busy with twin babies to bother trying to change my diet and just ate the same as always. That's why I say my hormones have been crazy because it's not right to lose and gain that much weight with no effort either way. I also broke out in acne everywhere and I normally never have acne, That went away after a few months. My periods were also worse than ever. I think I only got about 3 or 4 a year for the first two years and they are sometimes very heavy (which is probably why I'm anemic).
    Anyway, I really need to get my hormones measured. I have symptoms of low progesterone, and probably high testosterone from the PCOS I guess. I just want to get rid of all this. And the fatigue is really taking over my life. I have trouble just keeping up with my kids and the housework and I feel like I am not being a good mother because of all this. I just don't have the energy. I never believed in taking drugs and I thought I could help all this on my own through primal, and getting rest and everything but it's been about 7 months with only small improvements. I would take any drug that would help in any way at this point. I am just sick of not being me anymore if that makes sense.

Oh, and about nutritional deficiencies I'm sure I was severely deficient in everything by the end of my pregnancy. My nails barely grew and what did grow was soft and spongy, kinda gross. My OB told me not to take double prenatals despite double babies and I remember being anemic but not being able to take the iron. I looked really sick the whole time and had quite a bit of muscle loss and I'm sure bone loss since my bones have also hurt ever since.
    I just kept thinking I needed time to recover from the "twin assault" on my body but I never really did.

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    not irrelevant which is why i asked and why i do also see you cant answer which leads me to believe youre self diagnosing yourself as having problems which should be fixed nutritionally, not with pills
    MalPaz, I guess I just see my weight as irrelevant since i think of it as a symptom and not a cause. Most of my life I was quite thin. It's only been the last 7 or 8 years that I started having problems and I feel like it's been mostly out of my control but here's my stats. I'm 5'7". My weight has been hovering around 215-220. I started out this year at 250. The weight has come off in spurts seemingly unrelated to what I eat. Maybe more related to what nutrients I'm taking in and how much sleep I'm getting. Eating primal and lower carb is the only thing that has even worked this much in the past few years. Lately I'm stuck and I've been feeling worse which led me to seek help from doctors. It's turning out to be a waste of time and money though.
    Food I don't really think about anymore. I don't eat fruit or nuts much, minimal dairy but I really should have none. A typical day is sausage or eggs with coffee for breakfast. Sometimes leftover meat, veggies or fish. Lunch is almost always salad with whatever veggies we have and tuna, or fish with spinach. Dinner is where I get most of my veggies and meat. We have chili, taco salad, roast chicken with sweet potatoes or squash and steak with veg quite often. I don't really snack, I just eat good portions at my meals and try to vary what we eat but I probably need more variety of vegetables.
    What do you think I need more of to fix this nutritionally? I agree that I should be able to work all this out with proper diet/lifestyle but lately I just haven't felt so sure of that and I'm not sure what more I can do.
    How did I get this way to begin with? Well, I was a vegetarian eating tons of soy foods for most of my teenage years. Although I looked healthy and thin I think it caught up with me and I was too late to fix it and also didn't know how for the last 8 years. I also was quite eating disordered bouncing back and forth from anorexic to bulimic tendencies. I really did a number on my body and I had no idea I was so unfit for a pregnancy, nevermind a twin pregnancy. I'm just glad my girls are completely normal and I'm the one suffering the consequences.
    Does this help? I feel like i just wrote a book

Katie,
    Have you researched postpartum thyroiditis?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast