Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: counting carbs? Advice page

transylvanian.girl is offline Junior Member

counting carbs? Advice

Primal Fuel
    I'm new here and have a question about counting carbs. So the PB recommendation is 50-100 carbs/day for weight loss, 100-150 maintaining weight loss etc. How do you guys measure the carbs? How do I know exactly if I'm above or below 100? I would like to be able to ENJOY my fruit and veggies without having to wonder how many carbs I ate but I also want to make sure I don't eat too much. So is there any way to measure carbs (I'm not looking for general guidelines like "eat more berries than apples cause they have less carbs"; I already know that, but maybe some days I want to spoil myself with a frozen banana or apple dipped in almond butter and I want to know when I'm below 100 carbs/day or between 100-150).

egger is offline Member
    Use the Fitday website for a while to keep track of what you've eaten during the day. Spend a little time figuring out the values you want it to use per volume and be anal about volumes you are eating. Once you've done this for a couple weeks or so, you will have a good feel for it. At that point, stop doing it altogether or just occasionally as a reminder. Point is, it's not productive to continue being anal about it once you've got a feel for it.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    There are several areas where you can log in your intake, or planned intake and see where you are. It is highly advisable to track while you are new to get a feel for things, and Mark even suggests tracking now and then once you become Grok-pro to make sure you are still on target

Fitday.com is an OK site, for me I find Sparkspeople.com much easier to navigate. And of course there are tons of books, or just go online and search on a fruit carb count and you will get a list.
    Remember there are carbs in other things besides fruit and veg, even if they are small amounts
    It is extremely easy for most people to stay between 50-100 (for weight loss) once you cut out the grains and sugar. Personally I RARELY go over 60! Yesterday was the first time in many weeks that I did, and it is because I was trying to get enough fat and I had a whole avocado along with a 4 serving bag of broccoli! That meal was 31 carbs. Very unusual for me
    Even the huge salad full of tons of all kinds of veggies, cheese and meat only comes up to 18 carbs for me. You will find that once you are educated in what you are eating you do not have to be afraid of fruits or veggies, that is the whole point of PB, there are great nutritional values in fruits and veg and he doesnt promote not eating them
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Millie Ivy is offline Member
    I agree, Sparkpeople is much easier for me. I used to use Fitday back in the cw days, but sparkpeople has a lot of features that make it more user friendly, like you can search all the foods added by other members, so I rarely have to add a new food to the database. chances are, someone else has used it.

Also, I like the sparkrecipes sister site. I make up a lot of my own recipes, and tweak a lot of others. I can input my recipe, calculate information, add a serving to my planner and then share the recipe with the site, all with a few clicks.

hth!

ps- Once I focused on getting enough fat and protein in my day, I too found it really hard to get above 50 carbs. Certainly easy to stay under 100 even with fruits.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I like SparkPeople and DailyBurn, but SP has a free app for Android so they won in my case. =]

I completely agree with egger... once you've logged *everything* for a while, you get so used to the amounts and types of food that you'll just KNOW if you're doing it right, without having to count anymore.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    read the labels on labeled food and go here for the unlabeled stuff :
    http://www.nutritiondata.com
    Get an idea of what your usual stuff is and just estimate. You'll go insane trying to be accurate to single digits.
    Example - for me :
    banana = 25
    big glass of milk (12-14 ounces) = 20
    tomato = 6
    lots of salsa with my eggs = 25

You can definitely lose weight even on 100-125 grams/day. Its just a little faster in the 50-100 range.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

wilberfan is offline Senior Member
    I've found the the MyPlate section of livestrong.com has one of the most complete food databases out there... No need at all to go to another site.

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    read the labels on labeled food and go here for the unlabeled stuff :
    http://www.nutritiondata.com
    Get an idea of what your usual stuff is and just estimate. You'll go insane trying to be accurate to single digits.
    Example - for me :
    banana = 25
    big glass of milk (12-14 ounces) = 20
    tomato = 6
    lots of salsa with my eggs = 25

You can definitely lose weight even on 100-125 grams/day. Its just a little faster in the 50-100 range.
    A tomato 6 carbs, REALLY...?! You must have some very sweet toms over there - 100g of British tomato is half that!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    I like SparkPeople and DailyBurn, but SP has a free app for Android so they won in my case. =]

I completely agree with egger... once you've logged *everything* for a while, you get so used to the amounts and types of food that you'll just KNOW if you're doing it right, without having to count anymore.

I'd like to find a specifically UK one, because US ones frustrate me. The problem is, all the British ones I know of aren't free (or are only for some derisory period - usually 24 hours).
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Something to keep in mind: in the UK and many other places Carbs are considered NET carbs (total carb minus fiber) IN the US carb counts are TOTAL carbs and does not subtract fiber (and in PB carbs are refered to as TOTAL carbs)

Here is a fairly good article that discusses the differences http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/net-carbs.htm
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast