Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerusalem artichokes page

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Jerusalem artichokes

Primal Fuel
    Jerusalem artichokes are Primal, aren't they? (please say yes). My parents just grew lots of these in their garden. They are delicious!! The best thing is that they hardly raise my blood sugar at all! They taste carby, but I don't get a carby blood sugar spike as I would with carrots, sweet potatoes etc. Very good news for a Diabetic!

I cooked ribs yesterday in the oven with a tiny amount of carrot, onions and some water and towards the end added the JA to it so they cooked in the juice. OMG friggin' gorgeous!! The only downside is that they made me slightly.. flatulent but it was so worth it for the nomminess.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    What is a Jerusalem artichoke?

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    They are roots, but not starchy like potatoes. More like celery root. And their flavor is like... artichoke. They are yummy. I would guess if they don't raise blood sugar & they aren't starchy, they're primal. Apparently they have a distinctive flower, so they'd be pretty easy to find and dig up if you were Grok. Also they are hardy and tough to kill, so the same batch would keep growing in the same place for years.
    I think you can eat them raw but I prefer them roasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cree View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke
    Fruit and starch free.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    To me they taste like sunflower seeds, and they grow like mad. They are EASY to grow!! Don't put them anywhere you don't want them to stay, because they'll keep growing there unless you get out every trace of a tuber.

SAQ --- umm, "flatulent" --- Well, they have a non-digestible starch in them (inulin) which for me has always been BAD NEWS on the flatulence front, but if you can manage them at all, why not? Spirit of peppermint, a little in some water, can help expel gas. Fennel seeds help, too. You can keep having fermented foods in the hope that they will settle your flora instead of letting them have a feeding frenzy on the Jerusalem artichokes. And/or you can space out your exposure to the inulin, so that you don't get a vicious cycle going with the flora pigging out over and over again. That is, have the Jerusalem artichokes, but put several days between servings to sort out the gut again.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I think you could call them primal. Mark's article on the discovery of the grinding rocks raises a point. Being tubers their defense mechanisms (anti-nutrients) should not be centered on the edible part. Grains and legumes defend themselves from being eaten with anti-nutrients of course.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cree View Post
    I believe you may know them as "sunchokes"? It is a member of the sunflower family, I think - great tall plants, with tubers which are just delicious.

Roasted around a joint they are amazing, or they make a stunning soup. They can also be used to make a gratin, rather like potato dauphinois, but using the jerusalem Artichokes.

@StoneAge Queen - they are recommended as they contain inulin in masses - isn't it a prebiotic?? Also lots of nice minerals etc.

And SO EASY to grow!

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elwyne View Post
    They are roots, but not starchy like potatoes. More like celery root. And their flavor is like... artichoke. They are yummy. I would guess if they don't raise blood sugar & they aren't starchy, they're primal. Apparently they have a distinctive flower, so they'd be pretty easy to find and dig up if you were Grok. Also they are hardy and tough to kill, so the same batch would keep growing in the same place for years.
    I think you can eat them raw but I prefer them roasted.
    Ha! Grok made bread out of 'em!

@piano-doctor-lady- Thanks for the advice.
    @Breadsauce- Yes, they're really easy to grow! I'll definitely ask Mum and Dad to grow more next year. They seemed to like the Irish climate, too. Unlike the spaghetti squash!
    Fruit and starch free.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Once you start Jerusalem artichokes you can have them forever if you don't harvest the entire crop. They are very resistant to disease and insects. They can travel about your yard though--volunteering to grow in new places every now and then. They are very good--tasty and nutritious. Also, they are easily found in the wild, especially along highways, rail road tracks, etc. and also close to water. Look for them around willows and cottonwoods. Before you harvest in the wild, ensure that you really have a Jerusalem artichoke. There is an imitator--yellow ironweed---which, I am told, is not edible.

If you are seeking the plant in the fall or winter after leaves have fallen---Don't. Mark your chokes when they have leaves so you don't pick ironweed instead.

StoneAgeQueen---Jerusalem artichokes--which are not an artichoke but a sunflower--have no starch. They have inulin instead. Should make them fine for you.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast