Thread: Atkins vs Primal Blueprint when it comes to food? page

infinite is offline Junior Member

Atkins vs Primal Blueprint when it comes to food?

Primal Fuel
    Can I assume that anything I was able to eat on Atkins is cool with the Primal Blue Print? I have the Primal Cookbook but I wasn't sure about other things from various Atkins cookbooks.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Depends if it's original Atkins or Frankenfoods Atkins (eg. artificial sweeteners, or low carb just because it's grain packed with fiber...that kinda stuff)

(Hey, and welcome, fellow-Washingtonian!)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Mark has a handy guide on this page: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Is it Primal?

You know the basics: Lean meats and vegetables are healthy, grains and sugars should be avoided. But what about everything else?

Eggs – Yes (even raw eggs? Why not.)
    Nuts – Yes (Almonds, Walnuts, Soaking Seeds & Nuts)
    Seeds – Yes
    Coconut – Yes, in every way, shape, and form
    Coffee/Tea – Yes
    Whole Grains, Oatmeal, Brown Rice – No
    Beans & Legumes – No
    Dark Chocolate – Occasionally
    Red Wine – Occasionally
    Artificial Sweeteners – Not really, but not terrible
    Cheese – Not officially, but…
    Soy and Whey and Protein Powders – Depends
    Chewing Gum – Depends
    I'd recommend checking out the original though, since it has fun links and explains all the reasoning. I hope this was helpful!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    Can I assume that anything I was able to eat on Atkins is cool with the Primal Blue Print? I have the Primal Cookbook but I wasn't sure about other things from various Atkins cookbooks.
    It depends on what you ate on Atkins. The ANI board is now heavy with dessert recipes and LC recipes for high carb junk foods although if one reads the new book (NANY) it still focuses on fresh, unprocessed foods as did DANDR, AFL and DADR.

I did whole foods Atkins last year with no packaged foods, bars, shakes and very very little sweeteners. I wanted to clean up my eating further and that led me to PB. PB like Atkins has fresh veggies as the cornerstone of the diet along with fresh proteins and good fats. Fruits and nuts (no peanuts) are allowed. What I found to be different:

• Fresh proteins that are grass-fed/finished, organic, pastured, etc. are preferred over factory meats, poultry, eggs common in grocery stores.
    • Quality and type of fats: forget about canola and a lot of other vegetable/seed oils (olive, coconut, avocado oils are fine as are various other animal fats)
    • Soy in any form is OUT
    • No legumes or grains
    • Sweeteners: small amounts of honey or maple syrup are preferred; occasional use of xylitol, erythritol, stevia are OK; artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, aspartame or saccharin are OUT
    • Dairy is allowed but occasional use preferred if used at all; No large, daily amounts of dairy like permitted with Atkins
    • Exercise is still required but different (more specific) than with Atkins
    • PB has an entire plan (blueprint) for healthy living that goes beyond food
    • Carbs are counted as total carbs NOT net and are not structured like with Atkins OWL
    • Carb allowance may be different for you than Atkins: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

I strongly suggest you read the Primal Blueprint book and the MDA blogs for more details especially on oils/fats. This is a good start:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press...rint-diagrams/

Look up the 80/20 rule.

I am still able to make most recipes from my Atkins cookbooks but watch the dessert and heavily dairy laden ones.

infinite is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone.

I am sorta doing the Atkins diet I did before which is mostly meat. I have just been adding a lot more plants and fruits this time, which make a huge difference. I have a new scale on order from Amazon that will help show progress (I wanted a digital one). I still need to wrap up the book but I don't think I broke the diet this week. I'm feeling pretty good.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    I am sorta doing the Atkins diet I did before which is mostly meat.
    Atkins is a lot of veggies...a minimum of 12-15g net carbs/day plus fats and moderate protein.

Freedish is offline Senior Member
    i would stay away from the artificial sweeteners...unless you enjoy having foreign chemicals running through your body, lowering your immune system and increasing your chances to get cancer, headaches, and insomnia...and a whole list of side effects. Oh not to mention some artificial sweeteners are extremely addicting. I used to not be able to get through a day without having some aspartame. I literally craved the stuff. It was way worse then sugar.

Lindsey is offline Senior Member
    Don't totally rely on the scales either as you may find you lose inches first! I know I did.

Too much fruit can halt progress though because of the sugar content