Thread: Dr. appointment which tests ??? page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

Dr. appointment which tests ???

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I posted earlier about a weird flutter thing in my throat/chest. Anyhow I am going to make an appointment. What tests should be done in general?

I am 36. No real issues. My blood pressure is normally low, good resting heart rate. I do get dizzy sometimes when doing things like gardening and then standing up, but have been like that for years. I did have my cholesterol, fasting glucose, etc. when we applied for insurance in 2008.

I want to deal with everything at once if possible so I want to go knowing what needs addressed. Thanks.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Make sure they do a good anemia screen, including ferritin levels. I've had rapid pulse for the past few months, and a couple of instances of very very high heart rate (had it all my life--dxed as "short P-R interval, benign" but it used to be just 30 seconds at a time--these last two times were 20 minutes each.) Turns out I was anemic. Unfortunately, they only ran the basic anemia screen, so it didn't provide full info on the type. So I'm treating it with iron and cast iron pans, and will draw blood again in 3 weeks, this time with the ferritin too. My pulse has dropped 20 beats per minute since supplementing, so I'm pretty confident that was the issue for me.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

coley is offline Junior Member
    thyroid panel (blood work to look at thyroid function). cbc (= complete blood count) would screen for anemia..... like lizch mentioned.
    holter monitor (funny monitor you wear for 24 hours up to 30 days to look at your heart rhythm)
    maybe ekg.

think about what triggers the feeling............... certain time of day? certain foods? liquids? solids? hot? cold? exercise?

keep me posted on what happens.......

happy thursday.

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    Did you happen to take your pulse? If it happens again take your pulse and check your heart rate. If you get a pretty normal number 60-100 then you can relax a bit. I'd have them do an EKG and see what that reveals. As fart as blood work you want your cardiac enzymes TNI and CKMB. Then you want electrolyte panel may be part of the basic metabolic panel or comprehensive metabolic panel. If you are having all that done why not ask the doc to add in Cholesterol, Vit D and lp(a). The lp(a) (lipoprotein a) is the one I would like to have checked. That should give them a really good idea of what is going on. They may ask you to carry a portable heart monitor around with you for 24hrs. Every time you feel the fluttering you push a button and it flags that portion of the EKG so the doc can review it.

let us know what they found out.

Mark

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnarchoGrok View Post
    Did you happen to take your pulse? If it happens again take your pulse and check your heart rate. If you get a pretty normal number 60-100 then you can relax a bit. I'd have them do an EKG and see what that reveals. As fart as blood work you want your cardiac enzymes TNI and CKMB. Then you want electrolyte panel may be part of the basic metabolic panel or comprehensive metabolic panel. If you are having all that done why not ask the doc to add in Cholesterol, Vit D and lp(a). The lp(a) (lipoprotein a) is the one I would like to have checked. That should give them a really good idea of what is going on. They may ask you to carry a portable heart monitor around with you for 24hrs. Every time you feel the fluttering you push a button and it flags that portion of the EKG so the doc can review it.

let us know what they found out.

Mark

I did check my pulse near the end of the fluttering this am and it was 57, which is low.
    What are the cardiac enzymes and the electrolyte panels for. Sorry if that is a stupid question.