Thread: Oh MY...... What is that? page

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member

Oh MY...... What is that?

Primal Fuel
    I started this little journey on April 1st 2010 and am doing extremely well. I have lost 65 pounds.

I decided to add in some exercising about 2 weeks ago and have been hiking the local trails and doing some very minor strength work. I still can't do a pull up but I am sure I will.

Today I Tried to do some simple crunches. Nothing major just see if I could feel my abdominal muscles. And this happened.......

Mine is a about halfway up on my left above the navel and as large as a big coffee cup. Sticks right out like a hand.

For the most part I can control it and as of now does not hurt. If isolated I can keep the bulge from appearing but breathing seems to cause it to extrude even further so I would have to do crunches with out breathing. I still did about 15 or so before I noticed and stopped. It was like a science fiction movie cumming to life.

I know a very good surgeon so I will go see him and see what he thinks about it. I'd also like any info or experience you all have so I can do my research on what path to take. For now I will go with no crunches until I can figure out what to do.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Looks like a hernia - a tear in the stomach wall through which your innards are protruding. Will become very painful if the stomach wall fights back and starts strangling your innards. Simple surgical repair
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    sure looks like a hernia to me.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    Totally a hernia. Get thee to a surgeon...

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Oh. Whoah. Yeah. Hernia. Doctor.

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Ouch
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    It's a hernia. I had one when I was a kid. Easy repair. Fix it asap

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm glad to see you said you're heading to the doctor -- as Peril (how appropriate) said, the muscle can constrict around the bulging bit of intestine and that can cause it damage due to lack of circulation.

As for how to recover afterward and how to get your muscles smoothed over this spot for the future... I am not sure how to advise you on that. Anyone, anyone?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oof! I would recommend asking your surgeon if you are a good candidate for the laparoscopic surgery, which has been gaining popularity recently. I know someone who had a hernia repaired laparoscopically, and her recovery time was much quicker than with the traditional open procedure.

Feel better soon, AnarchoGrok!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout